Forum link option

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Rotsblok

Forum link option

Post by Rotsblok »

I like this option as you can make links to some usefull sites which you users can go to (like the bug tracker link on this forum).
The only problem i have with it is that it opens in the same browser as the forum. So if you click on it your users leave your forum to go to the other site.
I know feature tracker is closed but as this feature is already implemented into phpBB my question is is it possible to make it adjustable when making/editing those forum elements where it should open as in new window or same window? I think it would be more user friendly then.
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Uchiha Nick

Re: Forum link option

Post by Uchiha Nick »

quite easy. just add target="_blank" in it.

very good note actually ;x

SkullCrusher

Post by SkullCrusher »

In xhtml you are not allowed to use target tags!

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I just tested this and at least on this board it seems to work like it works on phpBB 2, it will always open links in new windows. I also had a look at the HTML generated, and it is using target="_blank". So either this board is producing illegal XHTML, or the target attribute is allowed with XHTML Transitional, which is what is being used here.

I seem to recall that at one time, this board would open links in the same window when the link was located on the same site as the board, and open in a new window when the link was offsite. I kind of liked that idea (so maybe it was just wishful thinking and they changed the code between my observations).

profpete

Post by profpete »

target a deprecated property. Therefore, it is allowable in HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 Transitional, but not either in Strict mode. It should be aboived for accessibility reasons anyway.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Eelke wrote: I just tested this and at least on this board it seems to work like it works on phpBB 2, it will always open links in new windows. I also had a look at the HTML generated, and it is using target="_blank". So either this board is producing illegal XHTML, or the target attribute is allowed with XHTML Transitional, which is what is being used here.

I seem to recall that at one time, this board would open links in the same window when the link was located on the same site as the board, and open in a new window when the link was offsite. I kind of liked that idea (so maybe it was just wishful thinking and they changed the code between my observations).

Hmmm i dont think we are talking the same stuff.
If you make a link a manage forum you are unable to put in target="_blank" if you do so you get an web adress with http://www.yoursite.bla" target="_blank target="_blank"/ in it whcih obviously wont work to get it open a new window

In other words i mean the 3 forum types you can make (categories, forum and link) the link is openend always in the same window which i find a bit annoying. I have found out (with help from others) how to change this hard coded. But i prefer its an inbuilt option of phpBB (if possible) as its more userfriendly for those who dont dare to mess with the code (i did it once and hell broke loose so wont do it again on my own)
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Ah, sorry. I reread your first post and it's clear enough, actually. Well, at least we know there is no fundamental problem to use target="_clean" because the board used XHTML transitional. I'm afraid it'd be considered a feature request, though, asking to allow for configuring of the target for such links. Isn't it a simple matter of editing the template anyway? If it'd involve editing the core files, I'd shy away from it too. Not because I couldn't, but because I don't like the upgradability implications of it.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Its just a template thing to make all forum links open in a new window. i have done it thnx to the help of Highway.... But in my opinion its nicer if its a option when creating. but its fixed for now but i dont think its a feature request as the feature is already implemented so in my eyes its just an adjustment of an existing feature ;)
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Did you convince yourself? ;)