Viewing forums twice

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Acyd Burn

Re: Viewing forums twice

Post by Acyd Burn »

spambot wrote: But I didn't notice any changes [...]. And I still have to "view forums twice". Maybe you could share some detailed information of the changes. :)

It is just to not have to view the forum again after having read the last unread topic in a forum. This is the only change. I just noticed that it is currently not working if someone creates a new topic or post while having everything read and then visiting the board index directly.

For me it is working. And i do not know which functionality are you wanting - the only one users have pointed out was the inability to go directly to the board index when having read the last unread topic in a forum.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

SamG wrote: I played some in the EasyMOD forum/subforums (the only place with enough unread posts that I could tinker). It appears that if you leave the last unread topic for the board index, the markers show read. So it's different with subforums at any rate.

Is it broke? :mrgreen:

I tested the subforums here as well as discussion and new features discussion. It is working for me... strange...

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

We're talking about the same thing. I just read your post and returned to the index directly; the forum was still marked unread. When revisiting the forum, there were no unread posts. :|
Last edited by ElbertF on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamG

Post by SamG »

Maybe you don't want to talk about the details yet, but if that's not the case, is this changed behavior an admin option or a fixed change?
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

spambot wrote: We're talking about the same thing. I just read your post and returned to the index directly; the forum was still marked unread. When revisiting the forum, there where no unread posts. :|

Working fine here. The only variable which is able to influence this is the users lastmark column. What happens if you go to the index and click "Mark all forums read" and then testing it again?

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I think that did it, great. :)
SamG

Post by SamG »

Acyd Burn wrote: I tested the subforums here as well as discussion and new features discussion. It is working for me...
I'm sorry, I must have said that wrong. In EasyMOD it is working for me. (Elsewhere old habits are provinjg hard to break and I keep forgetting to go directly to the index.)

There does seem to be some significant delay in new posts showing up on the index. Might just be me.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

It's just you.. Can't wait for the new code to show up in CVS.

viewtopic.php?p=155110#p155110

How did you manage to fix this? The query count and parsing time is still low. Magic.. :)
profpete

Post by profpete »

Seems to be working for me! :mrgreen: Though admittedly I didn't go any deeper than the first level of forums, but it certainly works for those now!

Was it my suggestion of traversing back up the tree that was implemented? 8)
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

No. I am still not entirely sure about the final implementation - the load implications need to be waged against. At the moment the index page is not touched at all. But since there is additional checking taking place at viewtopic (under some circumstances) and while posting a message (always) i will try to put another approach to the index page as the next step to be able to compare both.