Viewing forums twice

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
katsarts

Viewing forums twice

Post by katsarts »

I have seen alot of bugs about this, perhaps we should clear this issue up.

In the bug reports it is said this is by design because it makes the forum faster, I do not know if this problem has been actually fixed, but from what Ihave seen people say apparently it is not. The ability to only have to do it once was included in phpbb2 and removing that in 3 is more like a regression then a step forward, people modded phpbb2 in such a way that such a small feature hardly would slow it down any more then the piles and piles of mods most people made to the software.

In 3, it is obvious that this feature if not included by default will be a "Must Have" mod, as that if the forum admin knows about the mod, they will probably go out of thier way to install it.

I'm quite aware that this thread will probably be locked(or deleted) as this is NOT a feature, it is a annoying bug.. or because noone wants to hear about it, but I had to try.
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
All of my Base are belong to you.

ElbertF

Re: Viewing forums twice

Post by ElbertF »

A similar topic by me..

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23747

SamG

Post by SamG »

Even if the topic marking behavior is confusing and/or annoying (and I agree that it is), it isn't a bug. It simply isn't. It is a feature and has been since the change was deliberately introduced here, at area51, way back when.

This kind of stuff wears me out worse than the need to back out of topics, to be quite honest.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

SamG wrote: Even if the topic marking behavior is confusing and/or annoying (and I agree that it is), it isn't a bug. It simply isn't. It is a feature and has been since the change was deliberately introduced here, at area51, way back when.

This kind of stuff wears me out worse than the need to back out of topics, to be quite honest.

And it seems quite a lot of people don't like that "feature" at all, so perhaps a change should be considered.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Do we know that a change isn't being considered, if not for 3.0 then for 3.2? And if one isn't being considered for 3.0 (or above), is it okay if we assume that there are overriding reasons in the minds of the developers rather than just dissing them for being lame?

Obviously psoTFX introduced the change as necessary for what he thought to be good reasons. Maybe he was right, and maybe he wasn't. Maybe there's a better solution to the original problem, and maybe there isn't. In any case, it isn't a bug. It's a feature. For some (many? most?), it's a problematic feature. Pretending that it is a bug and then ranting about this unfixed bug (and the devs) seems counterproductive if we really are hoping for something better down the road, yes?

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

seriously, it is annoying, how many more times does it need to be said? there will prolly be a mod which allows the 'buglike' thing to just.. dissapear!

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 85#2205485" target="_blank

Frankly, it doesn't annoy me at all.

I just open the topics in new tabs, read the tabs, closing them one by one, then when I get back to the original tab containing viewforum, refresh it, then close it. Works fine for me, not really different than what I do anyway, short of the refresh.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

SamG

Post by SamG »

Uchiha Nick wrote: seriously, it is annoying, how many more times does it need to be said?
I honestly thought the first one or two times in this topic were sufficient. Seeing the problem/admin concern isn't rocket science.

But, I suppose the same goes for correcting the idea that it's a bug rather than a feature -- how many times does THAT need to be said? :( -- so I won't comment about "buglike" behavior.

katsarts

Post by katsarts »

Personally I don't like the "FEATURE", and just about everyone and thier brother has reported it as a bug, I wonder if they have gotten the "clue" yet that people dislike this so called feature.

Personally I never refer to anything that doesn't require me to add code as a feature, thats just not right.

As for me, the main reason I dislike it is because I am still stuck on dial-up, and hell so is more then half the internet world.
So basically this is ousting more then half the internet population with this feature, what a way to get support.

Actually since it seems they are unwilling to fix this feature I will go start work instating a mod that causes 'buggy' behavior.
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
All of my Base are belong to you.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

SamG wrote:
Uchiha Nick wrote: seriously, it is annoying, how many more times does it need to be said?
I honestly thought the first one or two times in this topic were sufficient. Seeing the problem/admin concern isn't rocket science.

But, I suppose the same goes for correcting the idea that it's a bug rather than a feature -- how many times does THAT need to be said? :( -- so I won't comment about "buglike" behavior.

i called it buglike since it looks like a bug. i know its a feature.