Captchas and Human Readability

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
User avatar
Xore
Registered User
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:44 pm
Location: The desert
Contact:

Captchas and Human Readability

Post by Xore » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:22 am

OK. This needs to be addressed, since i've gotten a lot of negative feedback on the captchas. I'd like to start making the captchas a little more human readable.

If you come across a generated captcha image that you deem as unreadable, please identify it, save it and post it for me, along with a description of why you believe it's unreadable (assuming it's not completely obvious, which it sometimes will be).

I'll try to address the issues, assuming it's possible.

If you feel the need to discuss other captcha projects, or discuss why you think captcha is a good or bad idea, Take it to a different topic.
This topic is about "debugging" [sic] phpBB's implementation

Copy & Paste

Code: Select all

[b]Policy:[/b] <captcha type>
[b]Problem:[/b] <describe the problem here>
[b]Screenshot:[/b] <link here or attachment>


Edit: thanks naderman
Last edited by Acyd Burn on Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by TwistedWeather » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:53 am

Xore wrote: OK. This needs to be addressed, since i've gotten a lot of negative feedback on the captchas. I'd like to start making the captchas a little more human readable.

If you come across a generated captcha image that you deem as unreadable, please identify it, save it and post it for me, along with a description of why you believe it's unreadable (assuming it's not completely obvious, which it sometimes will be).

I'll try to address the issues, assuming it's possible.


I myself see no problems with it nor have i had any complaints on it either. Kinda suprised to see this. I'll get more people to check it out i suppose. I'll let you all know either way.

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:01 am

I've only had my forum up for 2 months, and have recieved complaints on several of the CAPTCHA's.
3D Bitmap, Cells, and Stencil have had the most complaints.

I would like, one... just one super-readable CAPTCHA.
I don't care if it's easy for a Computer to break, I need one, just one that is really, really simple that my Grandma can read. ;)
Image

User avatar
VxJasonxV
Registered User
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Contact:

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by VxJasonxV » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:16 pm

Highway of Life wrote: I would like, one... just one super-readable CAPTCHA.
I don't care if it's easy for a Computer to break, I need one, just one that is really, really simple that my Grandma can read. ;)
Uhhh.
Enable Visual Confirmation, but set all of the 'features' to 'no'. Does that not fulfill your needs?

If you don't manage your own forum, I don't know why you're bothering to post in this thread. You would seem to have missed the point of this thread...
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Anon
Registered User
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:55 am

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by Anon » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:30 pm

Highway of Life wrote: I've only had my forum up for 2 months, and have recieved complaints on several of the CAPTCHA's.
3D Bitmap, Cells, and Stencil have had the most complaints.


Xore asked for screenshots. Do you have any?

Code: Select all

:D|-<
:D/-<
:D\-<

User avatar
naderman
Consultant
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by naderman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:35 pm

Policy: Entropy
Problem: The H is nearly invisible
Screenshot: Entropy CAPTCHA

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:11 am

Anon wrote: Xore asked for screenshots. Do you have any?
Oops! yes... my apologies...
I'll have to look for them. I've posted them before.
VxJasonxV wrote: Uhhh.
Enable Visual Confirmation, but set all of the 'features' to 'no'. Does that not fulfill your needs?
If you don't manage your own forum, I don't know why you're bothering to post in this thread. You would seem to have missed the point of this thread...

AH! that would seem to fit! thanks.

I do manage my own (bunch) of forums.
Image

PatrikStar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by PatrikStar » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:56 am

Xore wrote: If you come across a generated captcha image that you deem as unreadable, please identify it, save it and post it for me, along with a description of why you believe it's unreadable (assuming it's not completely obvious, which it sometimes will be).


cells and shape are very confusing

shape doesnt even have any instructions

emboss2 I can do but does prove some difficulty

entroy when registering and going over quickly you can almost miss the 7

stencil one is also annoying because what do i do just choose the blue letters and numbers

found some other captcha types
http://www.captcha.net/cgi-bin/gimpy-r" target="_blank

here is a program that someone created check out the styles that they have decoded
http://sam.zoy.org/pwntcha/" target="_blank

User avatar
DavidMJ
Registered User
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Great Neck, NY

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by DavidMJ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 am

PatrikStar, please post the images rather than just describe the image.
Freedom from fear

User avatar
dhn
Registered User
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:10 am
Location: Around the corner
Contact:

Re: Captchas and Human Readability

Post by dhn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:17 pm

Xore: I quite like how Emboss1 currently looks. Only problem I have with the Emboss captchas is that the landscape does not span the whole area, which makes them look irritating. Either that or make the background transparent.

I know this was suggested before and I know that there is a reason for the current sizes. But I also suggest to give all captchas the same size for consistency's sake.

Post Reply