Ajax features in phpbb3

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
frik85

Ajax features in phpbb3

Post by frik85 »

I would like to see some Ajax features in phpbb3. I have not found any related information neither in this forum nor in the feature list.

It would save traffic if only a fraction of the page would get reloaded if someone vote, write a reply, etc.

Even the search page would profit from such an improvement. Imagine a search box and while you type the first characters you will get the search result entries in realtime even before you finished to type. If you don't understand what I mean, visit the following page and scroll down to the bottom and try out the "Search for" function:
http://www.reactos.org/" target="_blank

And as fallback solution (for old browser or without Javascript enabled) the current available implementation.

ElbertF

Re: Ajax features in phpbb3

Post by ElbertF »

The forum rules wrote: Don't post [..] feature requests
frik85 wrote: I have not found any related information neither in this forum nor in the feature list.
Image Search

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23911
viewtopic.php?p=146011#p146011

frik85

Post by frik85 »

Wierd, I have used the search function and it has shown no result at all. Now it does show several results when i use the same search word "ajax".
Was the search broken (bug/buggy) before?

Anyway thanks for the answer.

uranusalien

Post by uranusalien »

This is a development board, the search feature is not guaranteed to work. I believe there have been lengthy periods where it did not work correctly.

Anyway, you want 'AJAX'... why? IMO, AJAX for the sake of AJAX is pointless, it's just a gimmick that's eventually going to wear off. I think the 'AJAX' scheme can be used to good effect, but in the current times they are rare.

I think a 'live' search box would be a very bad thing. It would be likely to put an incredible amount of load on the server and be completely impractical for very large, popular sites. I mean, really can't people just wait to complete their keywords before seeing results?

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

uranusalien wrote: [...], it's just a gimmick that's eventually going to wear off.
IMO, I'd love to agree with you, but I predict the opposite is true.
AJAX is going nowhere fast (nowhere slow?).
i.e. it's here to stay.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

actually i believe it will takeoff, also Linux is building a completely AJAX aware operating system, wich i do think is pointless, but interesting
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

itunes66 wrote: actually i believe it will takeoff, also Linux is building a completely AJAX aware operating system, wich i do think is pointless, but interesting

Source?

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

uranusalien wrote: This is a development board, the search feature is not guaranteed to work. I believe there have been lengthy periods where it did not work correctly.

Anyway, you want 'AJAX'... why? IMO, AJAX for the sake of AJAX is pointless, it's just a gimmick that's eventually going to wear off. I think the 'AJAX' scheme can be used to good effect, but in the current times they are rare.

I think a 'live' search box would be a very bad thing. It would be likely to put an incredible amount of load on the server and be completely impractical for very large, popular sites. I mean, really can't people just wait to complete their keywords before seeing results?

a good scripted Chatbox is a good app?

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

Uchiha Nick wrote: a good scripted Chatbox is a good app?

I'm working on an AJAX Based IM/Chat.. :) for Olympus.. I've used a Flash/Java chat before.. but that one was to heavy for my little server.. And the integration with phpbb didn't go very wel..

But with AJAX.. you can do very neath things.. so you dont have to use Flash for example..