Is this feature in phpbb3???

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
dhn

Re: Is this feature in phpbb3???

Post by dhn »

ronoxQ wrote: REPLACING the main templete with a new one doesn't solve the problem, it just switches the type of viewing.
You can have separate templates and allow the users to choose between them.
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

ronoxQ wrote: To be frank, the idea of "I don't like it, so no" is ridiculous. My vB board currently allows for all three (threaded, hybrid, and standard) views of forums, and it is a feature that all my users like. REPLACING the main templete with a new one doesn't solve the problem, it just switches the type of viewing. I like standard views. My best friend likes threaded: he says it helps him avoid spam. And this is one of he reasons I don't use phpBB: the last three times I've come on to ask about a feature, I get flamed (to be fair, not extensively, just a mild "no, I don't like it, go away" sort) about what I'm asking.

I was checking out Olympus because I had hoped it would finally make phpBB a competitive forum compared to Invision and vB, but so far from what I've read, I was mistaken.

It would be easy enough for a mod author to make later on. And there are many, many things that many more people would much rather see in phpBB3 than some template options like that. You could put that in the feature tracker for 3.2 once it opens, but I doubt they would want to do that since very few people would use it. ;)

You thinking to simply when you compair vB to phpBB3. For one, vB is designed to fit peoples needs and be something everyone would want to buy. If it wasn't, people wouldn't waste their money on it. phpBB is all about what the developers(with some ideas from the community if they accept it) want in a board, its not made to be something for sale at all. They are making it for themselves, and then just giving it away after they are done. So you really don't have any right to complain about it. ;)

Ha, I here that one a lot it seems. I have tried vB and IPB and have phpBB3 on a local board. vB has a horrible adminCP(terribly unorganized, its a nightmare to find anything), and IPB just didn't seem that good(though I didn't play with it much). I would take phpBB3 over vB and IPB anyday if all 3 were free.

If you want to see for yourself instead of just trusting what you read, you can download a CVS copy of phpBB3 and install it on a local board.
http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/" target="_blank
(the snapshots section at the bottom, take the newest ;))
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

The templates are so easy to create and work with, you can create an EXACT vB clone if you wanted to...

But who would want to do that???
:D

You can even make it so each section of your forum uses a seperate template, or each user can have his own style, whatever you want. phpBB3 is the most versitile forum Technology I know of. (yes, even surpassing vB with customizing capability)
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Highway of Life wrote: (yes, even surpassing vB with customizing capability)
Plus it doesn't have every page of options in the adminCP in one single drop down menu. :lol:
TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Thank goodness we wont be seeing this. I cant stand that look.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

Eelke wrote: Editing the template does mean it's controlled board wide, and wouldn't be a user preference (no idea if it is with vB). FWIW, because I hate that kind of layout too.
then make two templates
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

What if there's another feature that "can just be added by editing the templates"? And another, and another. This would soon degrade into an unworkable solution, because you'd need different templates for each possible combination of those features (apart fromt he fact that it sucks to have to tell your users that they can have a certain feature not by selecting it in their preferences, but by selecting a different template).

Although it's fair to say something can be added by putting it in the template, for what it's worth, it's by no means an alternative for having something supported in the core, and it seems many people are suggesting that it is, by the ease with which they say "just add it in the template". Which is the point I was trying to make with the bit you are quoting.
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If you really want it that much, throw in a suggestion when the feature tracker opens up for the next version. ;)

Though I doubt many people will like the idea. :P
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Er... It wasn't me that wanted it :) I was just the guy pointing out that "just add it in a template" isn't a 100% alternative for having a user setting ;)
SamG

Post by SamG »

Eelke wrote: …(apart fromt he fact that it sucks to have to tell your users that they can have a certain feature not by selecting it in their preferences, but by selecting a different template).

Although it's fair to say something can be added by putting it in the template, for what it's worth, it's by no means an alternative for having something supported in the core…
Just out of curiosity, how do you see something like this being implemented?

I was trying to think it through, and CSS toggles alone couldn't allow for this kind of flexibility, I think. So it seems like, as I try to envision it, we would end with up a rather complex conditional default template. I'm a little reluctant to see that as a good thing just based on community experience with subSilver, which a lot of people found too complex to readily adapt to their own sites. I would think this also would significantly complicate third party style production if this were a required asset in all styles team "approved" phpBB 3 styles.

But, maybe I'm not seeing this right.