any UTF8 support ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Cheater512

Re: any UTF8 support ?

Post by Cheater512 »

[joke] Its unfair for us English speakers that other people have to use incompatible languages. :wink: [/joke]
The fact is its technically not feasable at the moment and there isnt much we can do about it.
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

I would much agree with the concerns of the developvers, since the current version of PHP doesn't fully support and compatible with Unicode.

So far, as a chinese phpbb user , I've noticed that there are many translation supporter released their own Unicode version for phpBB in different language, even english, as well.

What I really am upset about is how to convert a mass database

but that is a problem comes and till the final release of 3.0 and furthermore, the fully supported of Unicode, and PHP6 release.

Post by 3247 »

jwxie wrote: I would much agree with the concerns of the developvers, since the current version of PHP doesn't fully support and compatible with Unicode.

So what? phpBB does not need "full Unicode support". If you just change the encoding of all language files to UTF-8, it simply works (and that's even true with phpBB 2.0.x). UTF-8 strings are made up of bytes just like strings in any other charset.

Only search does need some Unicode support to make the wildcards "?" match single characters and to handle case insensitivity. The first has an easy workaround (convert "?" to egexp "([\x00-\x7F]|[\xC0-\xFF][\x80-\xBF]*)" instead of ".") and the second does not work with ISO charsets, either.

Because most browsers already send normalized strings, Unicode normalization is already an extra that is not strictly necessary. To make PostgreSQL and other databases happy, you could also filter illegal UTF sequences.

That's it.
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Joomla is introducing UTF-8 as the default with their 1.5 version. Maybe you can find an article about it at http://www.joomla.org." target="_blank Maybe phpBB doesn't need quite so much adjustment as Joomla did, but for Joomla I don't think it was as trivial as you suggest. Don't remember specifics.
extrabigmehdi

Post by extrabigmehdi »

Maybe phpBB doesn't need quite so much adjustment as Joomla did

well, current joomla 1.10 also is not that hard to convert in utf-8. There's minor "dynfunctions". But frankly I'm not even aware of them. I think that Joomla devellopers wanna provide a "rock solid" solution, that works for most common php/mySql installations, bug free etc ... It is also much more convenient to install in utf-8 from the setup. (the setup of Joomla 1.5 automatically detect the mySql version , and decide then which collation to use for database. You can even choose a default language, right from setup !)