Topic marking discussion

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Lieutenant Clone

Re: Topic marking discussion

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

I like having it say which posts are and are not read. Then you know if you accually truly have read that post. To find new posts since last time you visited, you can use the "View new posts" link at the top, something I have always used allot. I think a funtionality for showing both unread posts, and posts since last visit would be better. Something like a different coloured icon (Image) would do the trick, say if you filled that blue for new since last visit, that color for unread (with new since last visit taking precidence) and then empty for unread as usual.

Yea yea, thats a feature request, but im just throwing ideas around here.
Dennis Robinson

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: I like having it say which posts are and are not read. Then you know if you accually truly have read that post. To find new posts since last time you visited, you can use the "View new posts" link at the top, something I have always used allot.
We all like topic marking, but right now it's always "true" if a forum is marked unread. There are ways around it, but it's confusing for (new) users.
LEW21 wrote: To mark subforums as read you can use "Mark forums read" in the forum with has unread subforums.
True, but if you have topics and subforums it's still confusing.

Lieutenant Clone

I think I see what you are saying. So you go into a forum thats is marked unread, and leave it while there is still unread posts. Then go back to the index and the forum is still marked as unread?

Thats simple, those Icons dont mark forums as read or unread, it marks if the forum contains unread posts or not. Thats how its supposed to work, and makes sense, and I like that (although, granted that does make the feature usless on a forum this size, as a forum will always have unread posts). Mabey there could be something like the forum name is shown in bold if you havent viewed it since last visit? Thats what your looking for right?
Dennis Robinson

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

If you read all the unread topics in a forum, and return directly from a topic to the index, the forum is still marked unread even though all topics are read. Haven't you noticed? :|

Lieutenant Clone

say wha?! now that is a bug!
Dennis Robinson

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

It's not, please read the first post of this thread.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

spambot wrote: If you read all the unread topics in a forum, and return directly from a topic to the index, the forum is still marked unread even though all topics are read. Haven't you noticed? :|
I'm guessing that changing this will either be a very popular MOD in 3.0, or that it will be added as a result of feature requests submitted for 3.4 (given that 3.2 is feature frozen). Or perhaps we can hope that it will become a switchable option in the ACP earlier than that, if the current developers begin to see some merit in the end-user confusion/usability vs. system resources argument.

givemegraphics.com

Post by givemegraphics.com »

Its still just Blah Blah Blah...

dhn

Post by dhn »

rivaldo wrote: given that 3.2 is feature frozen
Who said that?

Schumi

Post by Schumi »

SHS` said that 3.2 is "more than likely" to be feature frozen already ;)
"If sharks die, the sea dies" - Andy Cobb, ambassador SHARKPROJECT South Africa