Topic marking discussion

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
ElbertF

Topic marking discussion

Post by ElbertF »

This has been discussed before, but I'd like to re-open the discussion on this matter (not a feature request). Way back dhn and psoTFX explained why it's working like it is, and that it isn't hard to get used to (but I still can't):
psoTFX wrote: The system works the same basic way whether you use cookies or server side storage. Why does it work this way?

With 2.0.x I had a system which tracked the existence of new posts since your last visit in each and every forum. On smaller boards with few simultaneous users and relatively low post counts that system actually works quite well. However, when you scale that up it becomes a real resource hog.

Therefore I came up with the system in place here. Whereby mark read information is maintained on a per forum basis only. To me it's no longer a big deal. I too sometimes think "Didn't I read all unread posts in that forum?" and need to revisit said forum to see that I did in fact read everything ... it takes all of 10 seconds IMHO.

I should add that not long after I committed the code that does all this to CVS a least one other major board deployed a "similar" system in their next release ... so I guess they liked the idea too :D

Will it change? No, I'm afraid it won't ... so there are really two choices, get used to it (not a terribly hard thing to do IMHO) or install a Mod (should one be written) which reproduces the funtionality of 2.0.x (more than likely at the same cost in resources).
I'm testing Olympus live, I created a special forum on my board for reporting bugs and support. Although I've explained it to my users many times, they still don't understand how it works or they're annoyed because the have to re-visit read forums or hit the "mark forums read" links all the time. I usually use the backspace key or back-button to go to the previous page (topic -> subforum -> forum -> index), but that isn't enough for marking forums read, you have to click all the links back to the index (that's 4 clicks when viewing a sub-subforum).. I imagine there will be a lot of topics on this once Olympus goes gold.

With subforums, it's even worse. All subforums may be marked unread, though they're all really read. You'll have to click the "mark forums read" for the first subforum, go back to the same page and do the same for the second, third, etc. (a "mark subforums read" link would help :P).

If you posted a reply yourself and directly go back to the index, it's also marked unread. Ofcourse it works as intended, but it doesn't make sence to me..

Maybe an "synch marked topics" link on the index would help, after clicking it all the marking is updated so you can see which forums are really unread. Could be a nice mod or feature for 3.2.

Eelke

Re: Topic marking discussion

Post by Eelke »

You know, I was wondering about this myself recently, since I've been getting on here more frequently again, because actually I find it quite annoying (I'm trying to get used to using links to get around instead of the back button, but I'm just so used to it).

Actually, I dread the day I am going live with Olympus on my site and having to explain this to my users (most of them are not particularly computer literate, while this really can only be explained from a purely technical standpoint). There's a few pretty vocal guys on there that are certainly not going to accept it. It may be more efficient from a resource POV, but from a usability POV I actually think it is pants (sorry).

Should anyone want to comment that it makes perfect sense that when you use the back-button you don't get updated pages, I would say, sure, that's fine, and I don't think anyone is arguing that. The problem is that if you do a reload on the index (or presumably wherever forums are listed, which is not exclusively on the index anymore), you will not actually get the most recent information (unread status, in this case), despite that you just did an explicit reload, for which the normal, expected behaviour is it will get you the most recent info.

Actually, I think it would make a perfect candidate to put in there with the other load settings, such as server side unread post tracking and dotted topics. But I guess that might be considered a feature request for 3.2, since it is working the way it is intended... (i.e. not a bug).

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

I too find it annoying. There are some topics I don't want to read, and yet they force a topic to remain unread for eternity, along with its forum.

Grok

Post by Grok »

Very annoying.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Ditto.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I just realised that even when you do use links to get around, you get into trouble when not stopping by in viewforum.php because you remembered it was the last topic to read in that forum. If this stays in, it'll be the first mod I install, even before the board goes live.

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

Spambot wrote: Although I've explained it to my users many times, they still don't understand how it works or they're annoyed because the have to re-visit read forums or hit the "mark forums read" links all the time. I usually use the backspace key or back-button to go to the previous page (topic -> subforum -> forum -> index), but that isn't enough for marking forums read, you have to click all the links back to the index (that's 4 clicks when viewing a sub-subforum).. I imagine there will be a lot of topics on this once Olympus goes gold
yes, thats the point.
I hope, there will be some fix for this available in the future.
What are the thoughts of the phpBB-coders? Why is this like the way it is now? Bug or a feature?

BTW:
It's very good to me, that now the unread-Threads are still marked, if you close the brwowser - many thank for this!

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

As I said in my [first] reply in this thread:
Actually, I think it would make a perfect candidate to put in there with the other load settings, such as server side unread post tracking and dotted topics. But I guess that might be considered a feature request for 3.2, since it is working the way it is intended... (i.e. not a bug).
The rational is that it is much faster. Which is true, because if you want to have up to date unread info on a page that lists forums, you will have to execute queries to determine the unread info for all topics and subforums inside the forums listed. It could actually get nasty with a lot of subforums.
Last edited by Eelke on Sat May 20, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

To mark subforums as read you can use "Mark forums read" in the forum with has unread subforums.
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support

Grok

Post by Grok »

The rational is great. The reality is that many users will complain. Hopefully someone can come up with a better solution.