Will Olympus be search-engine friendly?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
nuclear_eclipse

Re: Will Olympus be search-engine friendly?

Post by nuclear_eclipse »

Right, I get that (I use get-style vars in all my php programs). What I'm saying is that in the urls to pages on this board and others, I still get the 'sid' get var included in the url, even though the value of the var is blank. Will that affect searchbots, or is it something to not worry about?
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It will not affect them since the value is not changing (it will be blank all the time). The problem for searchbots (or more specifically the indexing process) is that the same page is indexed more than once due to the url changing - resulting in the effects mentioned.

nuclear_eclipse

Post by nuclear_eclipse »

OK, sorry for being a bit slow on uptake. I guess I figured that it wouldnt hurt bots as it is right now, I was just being overly safe and cynical.. :|
dhn

Post by dhn »

As per the latest CVS checkins the empty sid is gone:
Acyd Burn's checkin wrote: re-introduce append_sid: old style continues to work, not a performance hog as it was in 2.0.x -> structure is different
Now move along, nothing to see here. 8)
Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

The annoying ? is gone? /me rejoyces :lol:

When can we see it on Area51?
Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

Odd. The sid= bit was filtered out. Filing bug report. :)
AmbiWeb

Post by AmbiWeb »

Hi!

First I want to comment some things:

I very much agree with nuclear_eclipse that the new Olympus is not really searchengine friendly by default and that this has nothing to do with human-readable url-formats. I also agree with SHS` that the new Olympus allow search engines to index the contents of the forum - but in my opinion not in a good way. The mod_rewrite stuff SHS` posted is working, but it's not a good way to do this. I also agree with Eelke that GET variables in the URL are no problem for modern search-bots. And i very much agree with Acyd Burn that the problem for searchbots (or more specifically the indexing process) is that the same page is indexed more than once due to the url changing.

Ok now I want to explain all this:

The main problem the new Olympus still has is that the same (or only slightly modified) content is reachable using different url's. For example:

The same page could be acessed using:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23676
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23676&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23800&view=next
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23953&view=previous

And there are even more pages that contains the same post snippets because every post could be accessed using a url that contains the post-number:

viewtopic.php?sid=&p=144761#p144761

For searchengines all this is nothing to rank high because it costs a lot of money to spider this and a lot of cpu-power to sort out duplicate content to get a better index. It also costs a lot of money on the webmasters site because it makes a lot of traffic and of course it also costs cpu there. A searchengine can't know that this sites all contain the same. It hast to crawl it first and than it has to split it into snippets to perform duplicate checks. So what to do? Make it searchengine friendly by reducing different url's for the same content. It's really not thar hard.

Instead of

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23676
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23800&view=next
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23953&view=previous

use the URL with all vars

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23676&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and instead of

viewtopic.php?sid=&p=144761#p144761

you could use

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23676&start=0&st=0& ... =a#p144761

because you already have the anchor tags.

It might be true that this requires some more database queries to generate a single site but you won't have that much single site queries from robots after this and indexing and traffic and cpu-load will optimice. Due to the huge number of phpbb-boards out there this will help the internet a lot. And the boards will get a higher ranking because of "good behaviour" and less duplicate content.

I hope these suggestions will find there way to the new Olympus because this is a real milestone.
Best Regards,
Tobias Schwarz
AmbiWeb GmbH
http://www.ambiweb.de/" target="_blank