Should the phpBB3.X inculdes some mods and more new features

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
jwxie

Should the phpBB3.X inculdes some mods and more new features

Post by jwxie »

hey guys, here I'm,,ha

well, just like all of you, waiting for the phpBB3.X comes out....
it has started in development since fall of 2004(I guess so?), and now we still have no clue when it comes out

What I expect and see that since phpBB has moved to another place, and now the development is half way done, therefore, I hope and see that the phpBB3.X will come out very soon, may be few more months? about summer or even the Fall.....

Well, one thing must keep it in mind, we shouldn't request for any new feature for phpBB3.X since it's getting done, but discusson is important too....

Noticed that there are many different forum-software, very similar to phpBB. Discuz, Xoops, CMS, ect.....
Some of the phpBB users have complained and asked for the new features....
1. attachmod?
2. cash mod?
3. point system?
4. album?
5. combine posts together into one big post....?

Well, noticed that these features can accomplished by the mods, but something they make our forum run slower.....(I don't want our phpBB runs slower...)

phpBB suppose to be fast and breif, that mods are add-on for favorite.... therefore, mods like "attachmod", or "cash mod" shouldn't add into the new feature of phpBB3.0.x.....

But from what I'm saying is this....
1. mods like "rich-editor" (just like the one we have in here), is it going to add as a new feature of phpBB3.x?

2. add a "selective-quick-reply", that a memeber can disable, or enable the quickl-reply..?

3. this is a big-thing!!!!just like many other forum-software, during the installtion, the user can disable and choose their favor "extra mods" ......and they will install automically after the installtion of phpBB.......
Let's say.... the extra mods are "cash mod", "point system",, "attach mod",, "album"....." rich-editor"....."BBCode"....

So, during the installtion of a fresh phpBB, you can choose few extra mods....
I choose cash mod and richer-editor, then with the installtion of phpBB, both install by itself......

Should we have that?

If the phpBB 3.0.x has to add few new features that are mods, would the phpBB run slower than other version? My friend say, it will, but if we can simplify the function.....
Here's my comment only... that I don't really want mods to be add in, but only the "rich-editor", or two, or three more useful mods.....

PS: How do I get the phpBB3.x? I hear that I can download thetemplates... and also a demo of phpBB3.x, and you can install it?

bpat1434

Re: Should the phpBB3.X inculdes some mods and more new feat

Post by bpat1434 »

jwxie wrote: 3. this is a big-thing!!!!just like many other forum-software, during the installtion, the user can disable and choose their favor "extra mods" ......and they will install automically after the installtion of phpBB.......
Let's say.... the extra mods are "cash mod", "point system",, "attach mod",, "album"....." rich-editor"....."BBCode"....
Just ain't gonna happen. EZMod is the only thing that allows "user-less" installations, and that isn't being incorporated into the phpBB core (yet) since it's not stable enough. <-- Supported through other posts in this forum
jwxie wrote: 2. add a "selective-quick-reply", that a memeber can disable, or enable the quickl-reply..?
There has been discussion on this. Some want to see it, others don't. Main thing: it won't be in the final release of Olympus. Maybe as an update, but not initially.
jwxie wrote: 1. mods like "rich-editor" (just like the one we have in here), is it going to add as a new feature of phpBB3.x?
This board is running the new Olympus code (without an awesome style that is being held secret until release), so what you see now is what you'll get (plus or minus a few items).
jwxie wrote: If the phpBB 3.0.x has to add few new features that are mods, would the phpBB run slower than other version?
I don't think so. If anything, it will run faster. Olympus has been built from the ground up (again) and seems to me to be slightly faster. The code is a little cleaner and now with the new templating stuff, it should be faster. Mods that aren't officially released by the phpBB mod team, or those not endorsed by phpBB Mod Team might make the board slower. Depends on the mod, and the level of efficiency of the code. But the main branch of phpBB will be as fast or faster than phpBB 2.x.
therefore, mods like "attachmod", or "cash mod" shouldn't add into the new feature of phpBB3.0.x.....
They won't be... don't worry. And if they are, they'll be incorporated into the core and won't slow anything down. If anything, they'll be optimized to run with the system, not against it.
What I expect and see that since phpBB has moved to another place, and now the development is half way done, therefore, I hope and see that the phpBB3.X will come out very soon, may be few more months? about summer or even the Fall.....
There is not definite release (which you said) but we are expecting updates over the next few months, and a big surprise. What that is, who knows. The move is just upgrading hardware and moving to a better place for OS software. Nothing more. It doesn't mark a mile-stone in the development.
Noticed that there are many different forum-software, very similar to phpBB. Discuz, Xoops, CMS, ect.....
Xoops is a CMS, not a bulletin board. If it has a bulletin board in there, it may be based off of phpBB, but it won't be as powerful. Xoops is made to for content management, not community interaction (like phpBB is). Discuz seems to be a valid competitor; however, the site is completely in chinese (or japanese) and I can't understand what it's saying. phpBB has plenty of translations. The more formidable competitors are SMF (free), vBulletin (pay), Invision Power Board (pay). Other than that, there aren't many others. Well, none that compete in phpBB's realm.

Just go to the CVS area to get info on the CVS of phpBB. You can download either version (2.0.x, 2.1.x <-- Olympus) and install.

~Brett