Feature suggestion: easy updates (like Firefox)

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Yasamin

Feature suggestion: easy updates (like Firefox)

Post by Yasamin »

For version 3.0 and onward...

I realize that it may be fairly complicated to implement, but I also believe that it would be very useful (especially for security updates, to prevent forum hackers) to have an update system as easy to use and the one currently implemented in Firefox 1.5.x -- possibly even automatically.

(I did try searching, but couldn't limit it to this forum section, for some reason, so feel free to merge this into any previous threads)

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Feature suggestion: easy updates (like Firefox)

Post by Marshalrusty »

It may be possible to use something like SMF's package manager (which isn't all that special BTW), but it is not possible to do a Firefox like update because phpBB runs on a server and not your local machine. That is not to say that a server can't automatically download and install an update (again SMF's package manager). In other words, I have no idea.

phpBB's devs are much smarter (cooler and better looking too, if one of you is reading this topic), so I'll be waiting to see what magic they come up with alongside you :D

Yasamin

Post by Yasamin »

I should have made clear that I meant a server-side easy-to-use update system.

I absolutely wouldn't want it to be run on the client.

I was just trying to give an example of how easy-to-use an update system can be.
Last edited by Yasamin on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

automagnus

Post by automagnus »

for those who have never seen SMF's package manager

it's basically easymod for SMF.

Since the updates are already easymod compatible this feature already exists.

edit: no confirmation that phpbb3 will have easy mod built in. I misread, but it is very likley an easy mod will be released for it, so no worries.
Last edited by automagnus on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yasamin

Post by Yasamin »

will there be an option for auto-updates

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

Yasamin wrote: will there be an option for auto-updates
Good question, hopefully someone from the team will come around and give you a more certain answer.

But my guess would be yes. Just like EM can currently run updates for 2.0.x boards, it should be able to run it for phpBB3. And if it is indeed included by default, I'm sure the updating process will be much much more user friendly.

Yasamin

Post by Yasamin »

Awesome!

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

I would say a definate no.. Ok say phpBB.com gets hacked, its happened before, nobody is really 100% safe.. Then the would-be hacker could then send out a fake update to thousands of boards from one place.. I personally dont think its a great idea.. And if this feature was ever introduced then i certainly would not be using it..

Yawnster

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Also, I don't believe there is any easymod like capacity by default in Olympus.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

WhirlWindSpin

Post by WhirlWindSpin »

Something like SMF's Package Manager (<3 <3 <3) would be great for people like me who don't know much more than Fantastico.