phpBB3 Installer for Windows?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
the_translator

phpBB3 Installer for Windows?

Post by the_translator »

Does anyone think that its a good idea to add an auto installer to download as an extra for people who run windows servers?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: phpBB3 Installer for Windows?

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Uh...no. Generally speaking you can't execute "programs" on a remote server which is a good thing.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

the_translator wrote: Does anyone think that its a good idea to add an auto installer to download as an extra for people who run windows servers?
IMO no. I highly doubt the phpBB developers would restrict such a thing to only a certain platform; also, phpBB3.0 is feature frozen. ;-) ... and if you're thinking of EXEs to install phpBB, I doubt that even more.

Also, I do not think it would be so great if new users (new to phpBB) used such tools-- why let people have something install something automatically (in this case) if they don't even know what they're doing? It's hard to make things close to idiot-proof.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

the_translator

Post by the_translator »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: Uh...no. Generally speaking you can't execute "programs" on a remote server which is a good thing.
what i meant was if u RUN your OWN server, which makes it possible. but anyway i guess its too nooby :mrgreen:

the_translator

Post by the_translator »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
the_translator wrote: Does anyone think that its a good idea to add an auto installer to download as an extra for people who run windows servers?
IMO no. I highly doubt the phpBB developers would restrict such a thing to only a certain platform; also, phpBB3.0 is feature frozen. ;-) ... and if you're thinking of EXEs to install phpBB, I doubt that even more.

Also, I do not think it would be so great if new users (new to phpBB) used such tools-- why let people have something install something automatically (in this case) if they don't even know what they're doing? It's hard to make things close to idiot-proof.
what do u exactly mean by feature frozen? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

:roll:

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

they have enough for this version.
So they froze the list. You can't ask for a feature in 3.0, but you can ask for stuff in 3.2

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

To elaborate: you cannot request any features to be included into phpBB3.0 "Olympus". When Olympus is released, and/or the developers feel like it is fit to do so, they will [re]open 3.2.x for feature requests. ;)

And please, do not use so many smilies; it is not needed...
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I would imagine that anyone competant enough to be running a server is more than competant enough to upload a few files and run a simple install script.

uranusalien

Post by uranusalien »

the_dan wrote: I would imagine that anyone competant enough to be running a server is more than competant enough to upload a few files and run a simple install script.
Yeah. If he's talking about one of those EXEs that installs Apache, MySQL and whatnot, I'm a firm believer that if people want these things they should learn to do it themselves. :)

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

They're actually pretty damn useful.
Before I got my Linux server set up in my house, I'd use them as it simplified the installation into a 3 minute job, rather than one taking potentially hours.