Suggestion for a small annoying thing in phpbb

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
sectionw

Suggestion for a small annoying thing in phpbb

Post by sectionw »

I run into this quite often in some of my boards, a poster puts one of those impossibly long url's and screws up the display of the page, an improvement for that would be to have a truncate url when such thing occurs, keep the url intact but truncate the display part.

test:
http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local. ... _local.cfm" target="_blank

sectionw

Re: Suggestion for a small annoying thing in phpbb

Post by sectionw »

sectionw wrote: I run into this quite often in some of my boards, a poster puts one of those impossibly long url's and screws up the display of the page, an improvement for that would be to have a truncate url when such thing occurs, keep the url intact but truncate the display part.

test:
Lol ok i did this test only to find out, my idea is no longer a current suggestion but a has been suggestion, please carry on :lol: and just ignore me :lol:

blobber

Post by blobber »

sectionw wrote:
sectionw wrote: I run into this quite often in some of my boards, a poster puts one of those impossibly long url's and screws up the display of the page, an improvement for that would be to have a truncate url when such thing occurs, keep the url intact but truncate the display part.

test:
Lol ok i did this test only to find out, my idea is no longer a current suggestion but a has been suggestion, please carry on :lol: and just ignore me :lol:
it would however additionally be pretty nice to automatically put the entire URL into the "title" attribute of the link, so that it's optionally displayed.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Layout wise, this is already discussed whether it is URLs, Images, LongWordsLikeThisOne:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18912

And a confirmation from the phpBB Team that it is already fixed in the new style!
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

blobber wrote: it would however additionally be pretty nice to automatically put the entire URL into the "title" attribute of the link, so that it's optionally displayed.
You could just look at the status bar of your browser to see where it is going to take you. If you browse forums without continual use of the status bar to check links before you click, your asking for trouble. :lol: