Question about new parts of phpBB

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
alcaeus

Question about new parts of phpBB

Post by alcaeus »

Comparing phpBB2 and the CVS for Olympus I noticed many differences in the DBAL, session and templating system. I have previously stripped everything from a phpBB2 to only have DBAL, session handling and templating system as a site base. My question now is: are those 3 "modules" stable and completed? If yes then I'd strip everything away from Olympus and rerelease that "base package", since I like the new templating system better.
Would be nice if you answer my question..

Greetz
alcaeus
DeadEye686

Re: Question about new parts of phpBB

Post by DeadEye686 »

Nope, nothing is stable or completed.
dmaj007

Re: Question about new parts of phpBB

Post by dmaj007 »

I would say that for the most part, the template engine is done. The last few updates to it were, at best, trivial. The last substantial change would only be used by enuthiasts (no normal person needs to alter block data). Sessions has been changing but only to make things in the core easier to do, setting and changing things in sessions is an easy way to get your message across the whole execution of a page, sessions are one of the first things to get loaded. The dbal really has not changed that much since phpBB 2.0.x except to allow caching to be cleaner and to have reall support for mysql 4. With small modifications to the code, you can actually dump the whole damn thing into 2.0.x with the cache system. It (with some patience) is fairly simple to take all three of those components and dump them into 2.0.x and have the system working properly, the only thing I would worry about it auth, it has changed totally. Have fun!