Complex permission system!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
asmith3006

Complex permission system!

Post by asmith3006 »

Does anyone else think that the permissions system is really complicated? I've installed a test board and I have NO idea who i've given permissions to!

Is there a way of displaying what permissions a user inherits from groups etc? That way at least I can check if I've done it right.

Thanks all.
Andrew.

Martin Blank

Re: Complex permission system!

Post by Martin Blank »

Hopefully this helps:

All permissions default to Deny unless specifically set to Allow. Deny takes precedence over Allow. For example, on a given forum:

User A:
- User: Unset
- Group 1: Unset
- Group 2: Unset
Result: Deny

User B:
- User: Unset
- Group 3: Allow
- Group 4: Unset
Result: Allow

User C:
- User: Allow
- Group 5: Allow
- Group 6: Deny
Result: Deny

This can get a little complicated if you allow it, so it's probably best to write things down to work through them. It looks daunting, but you will probably soon come to love the control.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

olger901

Post by olger901 »

It stays pretty easy actually, if you don't add a user to more then 1 group and just use group permissions over user permissions.
-

Quillz

Post by Quillz »

If you've never used phpBB before, then, yes, it's a bit daunting. But, compared to other BBS, I found the permissions system to be somewhat complex, but easy enough that it does what you want it to do the first time.

blobber

Post by blobber »

It doesn't seem that complex, at least not for somebody who wants to admnistrate a forum, so there's nothing that you couldn't explain with some nifty tooltips or other short explanations.

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

I do find the permissions complex...not because I can't figure it out, but because time is of the essence. I don't have time to double and triple check a user's permissions. However, there have been times when I have felt a user was abusing a feature and I just wanted to be able to turn that feature off for that one user. So, I suppose it's a trade off.
I can't delete my signature.

dhn

Post by dhn »

The admin interface for permissions is still being worked on. The usability will be improved. Stay tuned for changes.

Matt12345

Post by Matt12345 »

dhn wrote: The admin interface for permissions is still being worked on. The usability will be improved. Stay tuned for changes.
As dnh has alluded to, the Devs have said in the past that hopefully there will be a simple mode, with some sort of dafaults, and the advanced mode for treaking or more exact control.

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Fair enough.
I'm getting there with it. Slowly.
I still think it would be cool to be able to see a users permissions overall, including inherited permissions and to be able to see where they get it from. Maybe a table, functions down the left, then a column for each group etc that affects it and then a final resulting column with "Overall effect" or something like that.

dhn

Post by dhn »

asmith3006 wrote: Fair enough.
I'm getting there with it. Slowly.
I still think it would be cool to be able to see a users permissions overall, including inherited permissions and to be able to see where they get it from. Maybe a table, functions down the left, then a column for each group etc that affects it and then a final resulting column with "Overall effect" or something like that.
IIRC one of our developers wrote a script that gives you an overview over the permission settings of a specific group or user. Don't hold your breath, but there might be a chance that this could be included in the package. If it isn't, there is always the chance for a MOD.