faster?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Martin Blank

Re: faster?

Post by Martin Blank »

Code is quite often tested here before it's put in the CVS. Example: Groups work fairly well here, but not particularly well in the CVS. Searching, I think, also works better here than in CVS (if it works there yet -- I haven't checked on that aspect).
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

The reason why groups may work better here then on CVS is because they have either applied small hacks to the code to get it to work or they are using a more stable revision of the CVS here. Listen, there is a reason why CVS is used, it tracks changes. It would be fairly difficult to track changes made to files on an FTP server.

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

and it has been stated many time before by the developers that they often try out code here before commiting it to the CVS, which is why this place is sometimes more "up to date" than the CVS downloads. So therefore it isn't "hacks" or "more up to date cvs version" or whatever, it's code that the developers are working on.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Yeah -- I'd say neither is "more up to date" and each serves a good function to support development in complementary ways. Also, not everything developed and tested behind closed doors (a few things likely) will ever see the light of day, but likely most will in due time...

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

dmaj007 wrote: TAny speed increases that you see must either have stemmed out of enabling GZIP (which may have been enabled anyway!) or changes to the configuration of the server and/or the hardware it sits on.

Why would enabling GZIP increase the speed, I figured it would actually slow it down do to compression/decompression.

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

Tullamore wrote:
dmaj007 wrote: TAny speed increases that you see must either have stemmed out of enabling GZIP (which may have been enabled anyway!) or changes to the configuration of the server and/or the hardware it sits on.

Why would enabling GZIP increase the speed, I figured it would actually slow it down do to compression/decompression.
The entire point of gzip is to increase the speed. Other than that, there isn't really any benefit to it(it will slightly decrease bandwidth, but if that was all it did it wouldn't be worth it since it also adds more cpu usage).

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Magnotta wrote:
Tullamore wrote:

The entire point of gzip is to increase the speed. Other than that, there isn't really any benefit to it(it will slightly decrease bandwidth, but if that was all it did it wouldn't be worth it since it also adds more cpu usage).
In my experience GZIP has greatly reduced bandwidth usage. My forum will go from 600 GB/month to ~350 GB/month with GZIP enabled. Any speed increase or decrease has been negligible for me.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Doesn't GZip reduce transmission time but increase processing time (to actually do the compression)?

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Magnotta wrote:
Tullamore wrote:

No, Gzip is designed to reduce bandwidth usage. It will in fact cause slowdown, as the page must be compressed / decompressed.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Of course, one hopes that the loss in speed through deflation and decompression is more than made up for in time saved during transfer...
Rob