Board index is just...bloated

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
ShytKicker

Board index is just...bloated

Post by ShytKicker »

Hi,

I am no php developer, I work with other languages, but I do understand it, and I was looking at phpbb's source code and I noticed that 1 specific thing just bloats the board index page, this has to deal with marking if a forum is read or unread.

I noticed that in phpbb 2.0.x, along with querying the forums and categories on the board index, you also query all the unread topics for each forum. This is extremely bloating the software, I don't understand why you guys would want to do that? I know that your forum read/unread is more accurate than IPB and Vbulletin, but querying every single topic that is unread on the board index unnecessarily, is quite an load. What if there are 20000 unread topics since the last visit?

I know it is hard to make the forums read/unread any other way, because I too developing a coldfusion forum, but, don't you think there is some other efficient way?
BioALIEN

Re: Board index is just...bloated

Post by BioALIEN »

ShytKicker wrote: I noticed that in phpbb 2.0.x, along with querying the forums and categories on the board index, you also query all the unread topics for each forum.
This is phpbb 3.x and its only a test board. No support will be provided here. Your may want to try this question over at http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN
SamG

Post by SamG »

And just to note that the method used to mark read is different in 2.1/3.0 ...
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
ShytKicker

Post by ShytKicker »

That's good to know, SamG, what kind of method are you guys using now? Will it follow the Vbulletin/IPB method where you have to view the first page of the threads index inorder to mark the forum as read?

If not, then please explain, I'd love to know.
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

erm, reverse that please ;) IPB "demonstrated" their mark read capability some weeks after (IIRC) I placed similar functionality in CVS.
Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

psoTFX wrote: erm, reverse that please ;) IPB "demonstrated" their mark read capability some weeks after (IIRC) I placed similar functionality in CVS.
It's just making more and more sense to me now on why your keeping the new style a secret untill the final release.