Browser popup on new PM => JavaScript Alternative?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
BioALIEN

Re: Browser popup on new PM => JavaScript Alternative?

Post by BioALIEN »

HDR wrote: I'd prefer to have a alert box, someone said this was in the style? which file would i edit to change it to an alert box?
What you're asking is http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank related. Search the MOD forums for this. phpbb3 is in development and no support will be given until at least BETA stage!
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

jasidog

Post by jasidog »

Better than any type of floating alert or window would be a content block which appears at the top of the page in the correct situation. It can be skinned to be noticable enough.

Much like a login form only shows on the index when logged out.
Wooble Booble

Wert

Post by Wert »

Or one can use a browser like firefox that allows one to whitelist sites (like phpbb forums for instance) for javascript to allow the notification while blocking it elsewhere.

I just don't see this as a huge deal.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

BioALIEN wrote: Note to the Devs,

Instead of having a popup on the arrival of a new PM why not have a JS alert/confirm dialogue? That way popup blockers dont interfere with the functionality.

Notice: for people with JS disabled then thats a different story! They can choose to have popup on their UCP preferences but I really do think you should consider (repeat consider, not demanding anything here) JavaScript dialogues. :mrgreen:

Great work so far - fingers crossed for an "april fools trick"? :P ;)

Gmail did it to us last year, will Olympus do it this year? :twisted:
why not make a MOD for it?

Eternal2u

Post by Eternal2u »

a smart system that could identify if you have a popup blocker, and if you do then send a javascript popup would be good..

would cause users not to have a pesky js popup since i personally hate it, if it's not nessary..

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

If someone has a popup blocker on we should not assume that the user would prefer a JS alert. If a user wants to see a PM notification popup then they should take it upon themselves to adjust the settings of their popup blocker for the site they wish to allow popups for.

Trying to circumvent a user's browser preferences, no matter how pure the intention, is always bad IMHO.
I can't delete my signature.