SEO - missing append_sid() functionality

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
JacenSolo

Re: SEO - missing append_sid() functionality

Post by JacenSolo »

Xitami and IIS (i think, dont quote me on it) parse htaccess... and im sure others do too.

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Well i found that google and others got much much more hungrier with the rewrite engine.. on 2.011 I use a mod that includes the forum or topic name in the url which makes it even more relevant.

In the manage bots part i saw you can add ips.. and/or user agents.

I'm sure it would be easy to switch the rewrite engine on with this or that user-agent.
and to SEO.. as bots can have there own template.. it could be a template that would have hard coded keywords in addition to the real content. These keywords would only be seen by the bots..

Although I was a bit sceptical at the beginning, I like the idea more and more :mrgreen:

Luc

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

You do know that this is cloaking which is not really appreciated by most search engines out there? :D

The different template stuff is there so you can serve the search engines an stripped down template with only the bare bones of the pages, no links to individual posts (viewtopic.php?p=1234#1234), etc, etc so you can save quite a bit of bandwidth. Adding keywords etc is on your own risk ofcourse...
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

hater

Post by hater »

And besides, $SID is basically the same as append_sid now, as the session class will define what the value of the $SID global variable is on a user by user basis, depending on what the $user class returns for user data.

$userdata is also gone, in leiu of the $user class that stores all user preferences and information. You'll find that a lot of things you were used to in 2.0x have been upgraded to classes. :) Which means the basics of what you want are obviously still there, they just look differently. :)

mip

Post by mip »

I now solved the problem of those hardcoded URLs by using a modified template class which rewrites URLs.
This is quite fast when using cached templates, but requires the hardcoded URL beeing parsed prior to rewriting - a more elaborate solution would hand over the URL in a pre-parsed form, but I'll wait with this until phpBB Oxygen is has become stable.

JacenSolo

Post by JacenSolo »

Ah, kk.

Just a question, what does $SID or whatever do, cause the sid= in my address bar is blank,.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Just a useless aside from me. I do that a lot.
Rob

Graham

Post by Graham »

$SID will append ?sid= to the URL always, and the session ID after that if required (eg if cookies are not available or on Admin and moderator pages)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

JacenSolo

Post by JacenSolo »

Ah... What files that in? I want to learn how to do that.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

They just put $SID in every URL.

For example,

Code: Select all

$some_url = $phpbb_root_path . "viewforum.$phpEx$SID&f=$forum_id";
Rob