Permissions Nightmare!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
nahtanoj

Permissions Nightmare!

Post by nahtanoj »

I downloaded the CVS version a few days ago and I was very impressed by the admin control panel until I tried working with the permissions of forums, groups, etc.

8O It seems to me that there are so many options that it becomes overwelming! It seems a "simple mode" as found in phpBB 2.0.X would be a welcome addition... (not a feature request! just an observation). Is there any plan for such an option?

Roberdin

Re: Permissions Nightmare!

Post by Roberdin »

Once the presets system is up and running, there shouldn't be a problem.
Rob

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Is the "presets system" like a "factory defaults" as I had posted many thread ago in the Permissions thread?? I know there was some discussion by the devs to maybe slightly rework the permissions, but a lot of it still seems the same at this point. Roberdin -- you have been "relaxing" way too long -- what do you know that you are not sharing with us :)

Graham

Post by Graham »

The presets are an idea that has been there for quite a while, which if it is included in it's current form will allow you to save a particular combination of permissions once you have configured them once and then load them up if you want them again rather than having to set them manually once more. It's not a defaults system since it works per-group/user rather than per forum (since there is an entire set of general permissions that are not forum related), although I guess some standard presets could be included.

However, as the developers have said in the past, the permissions system may still be subject to some changes before the final release, depending on various factors.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

profpete

Post by profpete »

I agree that at first glance the permissions system looks overwhelming. But then so did 2.0 when I first started using it. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Presets will however be a godsend. I'd also welcome an ALLOW ALL button for Admins :mrgreen:

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

It's already on the preset list ;)
Rob

delos

Post by delos »

well the presets systems seems to work just fine. i experimented with it earlier today. it does take some time to make the presets in the first place tho. :?
compared to the 2.0 drop-down-box simple persmissions the 2.2 permissions system does seem very daunting. but ofcourse it gives much more flexibility so i wouldnt want anything stripped down just to make it simpler :)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

There is still work to be done on permissions. I agree it can be rather overwhealming when you first see it. Indeed, as I've stated elsewhere work on the admin facing permission system will continue through the beta cycle.

nahtanoj

Post by nahtanoj »

psoTFX wrote: There is still work to be done on permissions. I agree it can be rather overwhealming when you first see it. Indeed, as I've stated elsewhere work on the admin facing permission system will continue through the beta cycle.
Thanks! Perhaps a good set of pre-installed presets will make things easier.

olger901

Post by olger901 »

I actually think it looks excellent and it's fairly easy to set-up to using the presets.
I only would love to see an extra permission for the user/group permissions to allow certain users/groups to set their own user title :oops:

Anyway if it won't be implented into phpBB 2.2 ill wait for a mod for it to appear, or write one myself if I got the spare time for it.
-