[SPLIT] DB based read tracking enabled

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Tedd

Re: DB based read tracking enabled

Post by Tedd »

mmm, delicious feature! used to really tick me off not being able to see which posts i've read and which ones not.
another thing is the install, smooooooth as man.
Keep up the very nice work people! ;)
If I seem rude to you, you most likely deserved it, for I have no patience for dumb people and their pointless, stupid questions.

Grand Edgemaster

Post by Grand Edgemaster »

I agree, great feature.
I v2, I installed a MOD that would do this for me but something went wrong and it was a disaster.
Nice to see it as a default feature. (i hope)

Reclad

Post by Reclad »

Good.

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

seems to work fine so far. I did notice that even after I post something, view it, and then immediately go out the overall forum marks as topics having not been read but the threads themselves are marked as read.

mixx941

Post by mixx941 »

My users and I have been wanting for this feature for a while. Excellent, very nicely done :D. Even vBulletin doesn't have this yet :mrgreen:

Thanks to the phpBB team for donating their time to the project. I think that [legally] free software is so great when so many people donate their time to a project. Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas.

-Mark

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

exactly what is the use of this feature?

mixx941

Post by mixx941 »

Uchiha Nick wrote:exactly what is the use of this feature?
So you can see what threads you have read immediately after reading them (not having to go back to the main index and then clicking on the forum again). This way you can read, and then go back to the forum with all the thread listings instead of the main "Board Index".

MagicMike304

Post by MagicMike304 »

This is a neat idea and very usefull. I am having no problems on my end. Board run time is still the same for me.

Thanks,
Mike
Practice C.P.R. on big catfish - Catch, Photo, Release!
http://www.katmasters.com" target="_blank

Draegonis

Re: [SPLIT] DB based read tracking enabled

Post by Draegonis »

Split from associated announcement.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

mixx941 wrote:So you can see what threads you have read immediately after reading them (not having to go back to the main index and then clicking on the forum again). This way you can read, and then go back to the forum with all the thread listings instead of the main "Board Index".
:? Sorry, I don't understand your explanation. Posts read have always been instantaneous. The trick with db-based tracking is that the status will be persistant across sessions. So you can come back to the forum later, on a different machine even, and still have posts you have not read yet be marked as unread. With the cookie-based system in 2.0, you'd lose all your unread markers in that case, so you have to read everything before closing the session.