What makes 2.2 special? [split from "2.2 top features&q

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Ptirhiik_

Re: phpBB 2.2, top features

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

None features : all are already available as mods for phpBB 2.0.x. What is impressive is the way they are integrated here.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

None

As Ptirhiik said, they are already in MOD form for 2.0.x and everything that I want I have :)
Simulation Cricket Authority: http://www.simulationcricket.com

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:None features : all are already available as mods for phpBB 2.0.x. What is impressive is the way they are integrated here.
Even the enhanced permissions system?
Rob

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

yep.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Roberdin wrote:Even the enhanced permissions system?
Extra Permissions by Niels.

I'm not sure exactly how enhanced the MOD is for I've never used it, but it is more granular as it were.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Not really : this one extend the forum_id to use the auth table for non forum objects with negative ids, but suffer the same constrains than the regular forums auths. I was thinking of CH 2.1.0 actually, that has a similar system than the one used here (but not the same).

valval

Post by valval »

so which is better, ch 2.1.0 or phpbb 2.2? :D

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

valval wrote:so which is better, ch 2.1.0 or phpbb 2.2? :D
phpBB 2.2 is a board CMS full product, CH 2.1.0 is a mod. I don't get what you are asking ("Is Wordpad better than UNIX ?")

valval

Post by valval »

what I ment is ... isn't phpBB 2.0.x + CH 2.1.0 + all the other mods that you can add = phpbb 2.2?

what is it that makes phpbb 2.2 so special? the fact that it has more features as default, that can usually be installed quickly and without hassle with EasyMod? ...

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

I absolutly don't agree : what makes phpBB 2.2 "special" (not sure the word is appropriate here) is the amazing way the features are coded and integrated, absolutly not the feature list.

I have really no problems at all to code features I need onto my board based on phpBB 2.0.x (I've made some available to public btw, some aren't), and at this time some features, abilities or directions in phpBB 2.2 do not satisfy me at all (note it is not a complain, I respect the dev choices) : if I move, I will probably remove or modify them, simply :).

And to answer preciasly to your question : phpBB 2.0.x + CH 2.1.0 + all the precise features I need for my board is a better choice than phpBB 2.1.x for my needs, yes, as this exactly matches them, what what we can see of phpBB 2.1 here doesn't. Why would I have so something similar to phpBB 2.1 although it doesn't fit my needs, and although phpBB 2.1 is better coded that I would be able to do ? It would be a great non-sense, don't you think ? ;)

However, I could have the same feature list using various mods, and even much more (the list of the available mods is quite impressive, so some of them), so the difference doesn't stand in this features list at all, but really the way they are integrated. If you feel more comfortable with having plenty of features as dungle to pick-up your prefered ones, latest vB ie will probably fit better your awaitings and magnify them ;).