Daylight savings

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
mf22cs

Re: Daylight savings

Post by mf22cs »

Hmmm... no...

If i do something during winter time at 12:00, I still did it at 12:00 that day... even if the current day is during summer time.

Solution, store current timezone and if it is DST along with the posting. Then calculate the correct local time based on the differens.

/Marcus
Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

If you do something at 1500 during DST, then look at that timestamp during non-DST time, it's going to appear as being one hour out. Frankly, because it is. The server your running phpBB on tends not to change itself for DST, given that most well-run servers will stick to running their default on GMT.
mf22cs

Post by mf22cs »

Welll you just don´t listen, so I give up...

/Marcus
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

mf22cs wrote:I give up...

/Marcus
Yes, go and read up how DST actually works.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way
DoD

Post by DoD »

The daylight saving handling of phpBB is perfect.

You must rely upon the user saying if they are currently in DST or normal time.

Just think about it...

I make a post in the UK in the summer, at 5pm GMT, so 6PM for DST time...

So, when i view my post, it will add an hour on.

But, Mr Bobby in austrailia isnt on DST - but on normal time. Its winter over there. If, because i made my post in DST, it shouldnt shuffle their time about too, otherwise i'd be posting in the future.

Everything is relative. On the Last Sunday night of September, when the clocks go back an hour (not sure if its at 24:00 or 1:00), and i make a post at say (If the clocks go back at 1am to 12pm) 12:30 before the time change. Then, 50 mintues later, essentially 1:20 but really 12:20 - the post i made later would be shown as an older post.

The date is generated to display the time of the post in relation to "now". You cant selectively pick and choose which dates to shift X hours and others for Y hours.

I hope you understand, but essentially, if the current way of phpBB's DST system was changed, it would not display the posts in correct times.
mf22cs

Post by mf22cs »

My misstake... :oops:

I did not think of those on the southern part of the globe... I think you are right... sorry once again.

/Marcus - At least I admit my misstakes... :oops:
dhn

Post by dhn »

computersoc

Post by computersoc »

I live in New York. When the time changes, do I still have to go in my profile and manually change the time or a setting? If so, why not have it based on users in whatever time zone (my case GMT -5) gets updated automatically?

Thanks.
geocator

Post by geocator »

Becuase not all time zones are created equal. For instance, in Arizona there is no daylight savngs time but they are still in mountain time. Everyone else in mountain time does have daylight savings. That is just one example of why automatic would just not work.
computersoc

Post by computersoc »

That's why I said based on whatever time zone or there can be extra specifications.