Db Read tracking system

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Skeleton

Db Read tracking system

Post by Skeleton »

I cannot see how this new DB read forum tracking system can work. Each and every forum thread having a read or not read by it for each user? How is it done? :evil:

Not Radio

Re: Db Read tracking system

Post by Not Radio »

There is a table that describes the relation between a user and thread by providing the ID of the user and the ID of the thread in one row. A timestamp is also included with that data to describe the last time that the thread was viewed.

If the time of the last post is greater than that of the last read time obtained from the table, that row is updated with a new time.

To be efficient, this entry gets deleted when it has been established that the user's session has ended (i.e. no request for x minutes) along with any other entries made that were recorded before the session ended (usually all of them). A last visted column in the user table is then updated to the time of the last session update, which is the time used when no "topics read" entry is found for a given thread. In such a case a new entry is made.

To further optimize this, there may also be an identifying field that specified what type of entry the read time is for (forum? category? thread?) so if one were to click "mark all topics as read", a forum entry would be made and all topic entries that are in said forum are then removed. Marking all forums as read would essentially update the user's last visit timestamp and remove all read-tracking entries for that user.

Originally this was done by using a cookie that contained serialized data. This method was somewhat clunky as it can occupy bandwidth. To alleviate the bandwidth, all tracking can be moved into the database where the strain is moved from the network pipe to the internal data pipework.

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

thanks

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

It's also helpful if your userbase is frequently on the move, and therefore can't veiw all topics in one session.
Rob

Wert

Post by Wert »

Would DB tracking be more server intensive than using the old "cookie method"?
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

thats what i think :? :?

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Doing anything "extra" adds to the load ... the question is, how much does it affect rendering time/system load compared to the benefit it brings? We've been running the system here now for a few weeks without any noticeable impact on performance. Bart runs a similar system on his enormously busy board without much apparent impact.

Of course if it becomes a problem on your board, disable it and return to the use of cookies.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

psoTFX wrote:Bart runs a similar system on his enormously busy board without much apparent impact.
Second busiest (posts per week) phpBB listed on Big Boards infact. :D
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Graham

Post by Graham »

I can't comment on the server load of a system like this but IMO from following this server for a while WRT the page load times, the DB based method seems to be quicker than the cookie based method nd of course the read marks are much more accurate :)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Guillius

Post by Guillius »

I think the fact that its at least an option now that admins did not have before is awesome. Thanks for all the hard work. I myself run a page/forum that the community will probably never grow past 40 to 50 people. This feature is excellent as they all travel all over the place to check the forums.