Post reply vs Quick reply

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
baltzar

Post reply vs Quick reply

Post by baltzar »

I dont really understand why people insist on "post reply" as separate page. When you actually edit the reply you'll download the rest of the topic posts in a window. There is very little overheat on showing the reply edit box right after the posts bodies.

I guess its easy to mod any board for that "idea", and people do use quick edits. But quick edit is not that. Its most likly missing things from the full. I had this happen to me alot when i want to post something quick, then it turns out to be more then two pages. Since quick edits arent standart and the mod aint that good, people tend to post under anon forgetting the check whether they loged or not.

So here is an idea, make an expandable bar and inside should be the full edit right on bottom of every topic view. The bar by defual should be closed(thus additional bandwidth save).

Roberdin

Re: Post reply vs Quick reply

Post by Roberdin »

Then the bar has to be opened and u still have to open an extra page anyway...
Rob

Heimidal

Post by Heimidal »

What would opening this bar entail? Complex DHTML/Javascript? Another call? If so, overhead will be much less when using a separate page.

baltzar

Post by baltzar »

heh, no. I might not explained well enough. I am talking about Javascript "expand". Just press the [+] and its loads the "emoticons" and the edit box for both subject and message body, the buttons etc...

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

That doesn't save any bandwith. That hidden stuff obviously still has to be loaded - otherwise how could the browser know what to display? And of course all the extra Javascript to make sure it works on both Internet Explorer and browsers that follow standards is gonna take up extra bandwith...
Rob

baltzar

Post by baltzar »

As overal it will consume more bandwidth but, hidden menus could reduce it a bit and make it more pleased for usage. Note that the overal stage wont consume so much bandwidth and "complex" scripts are at most 1k per page view.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

How will hiding things reduce bandwith consumption?
Rob

baltzar

Post by baltzar »

The most annoying thing to server /IE are those little smilies, or any icons that have to be fetched in amount. JS can load them only when you expand.

Heimidal

Post by Heimidal »

baltzar wrote:The most annoying thing to server /IE are those little smilies, or any icons that have to be fetched in amount. JS can load them only when you expand.
Or we could load them only when you click the Post link.

I highly doubt you'll sway opinion, as this is more of a problem than the current concepts.

baltzar

Post by baltzar »

heimidal wrote: Or we could load them only when you click the Post link.
What ever you click doest matter how you call it, as long as it js call.
heimidal wrote: I highly doubt you'll sway opinion, as this is more of a problem than the current concepts.
It could be taken few steps further, how about "edit in place"?