Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Uchiha Nick

Re: Karma

Post by Uchiha Nick »

why not simply make a "Karma" patch for the users that might want to use it?

i for one would turn it off it wass possible/if it was/is in the final version

olger901

Post by olger901 »

Yes, same here, I see no use for karma, that is where, Mods and Admins are for.
-

Zanno

Post by Zanno »

PUOJACKZ wrote:As I say before, Karma like Vbullettin Reputation system, is very bad.
This feature, has been considered totally unuserful from some users, due to the bad behaviour that could be assigned to an user, without that him/her could do something.

Some problem of VBullettin Reputation system is:

- The possibility, for an user, to no heal his reputation. A user, during his/her posting in BBS could change his behaviour, and, in this case, Reputation could be a bad point for who have just joined the BBS or wanna make harrasing

- Let an user to assign more reputation/karma point in one time, could be bad, because, of course, not all the people of the earth have the same feelings for each others and this could be a problem if an user, that have a different point of view from you, start to assign you bad karma/reputation points

- Using karma/reputation system in a forum full of stupid moderators/admins, could be bad because, if you post maybe userful posts, they could find the way to make you appear as bad only if you make a little error (what is happened to me)

So, has been a very good idea to delay the implementation of this system, in order to permit a more suittable feature IMHO. I have already posted a version with some interesting ideas in Feature Tracker. I hope that it will be accepted, maybe adding the old options that had been introduced in the discontinued version.
karma doesn't seem less or more useful than your standard issue thread rating script, it just rates users and their posts instead of threads

there's absolutely no way to control who likes who and if someone is complaining that their karma is too low for no 'fair' reason then are you sure it's because nobody likes you at the board you're posting at :(??

if it can't be shut off and you don't like it then just ignore it

you can probably just take it out of the template and that would be good enough to disable as far as the intelligence of most end users are concerned

Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

Karma is out. End of discussion. It's not a case of "users who like it and those who don't". Karma had the option of being enabled or disabled originally, but it simply became far to complicated to impliment properly in 2.2.