phpBB 2.2 Modularization

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Michael.Vastola

phpBB 2.2 Modularization

Post by Michael.Vastola »

I recently downloaded the CVS of phpBB 2.1 (Looks terrific, by the way!) and I was looking at the authentication modules in particular. My site already has a large user-base and everyone has a username and password. Up until now, with phpBB 2.0.6, we've been forcing users to sign up separately for the forums, since changing the authentication (on either the forums or the site) would have required many modifications, which I didn't have time to make. Doing something similar in phpBB 2.2 looks more promising. I see that the authentication is separated into modules. But what about updates to user information, such as when a user changes their profile and the post count increasing when a user makes a post? Will those all be separated so that they can be unique for each authentication method? Or would I have to manually change the code on all of those pages to reflect the different structure of my database? I realize that this is still a work in progress and it is likely that many changes will be made, but I would like an idea of what to expect from phpBB once 2.2 is released.

Michael.Vastola

Re: phpBB 2.2 Modularization

Bump

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

all user data is still stored in the phpbb_users table (by default). However, when logining in, the entered password isn't necessarily compared to the one in that table.
Rob

benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

It would be fairly simple to write code in the authentication handler to transfer profile data between the two systems. You just got copy any changed data.

Michael.Vastola

Yes, I know. But the only functions that exist now are to read data from a user's profile, not edit it. I would like to know if functions to update the profile will be included, or I will have to create my own function and update almost every page to call it every time a user's profile is updated.

benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

Not sure what is gonna transpire. However, it would not have to check on every page. What I would do is disable the profile updating ability of one of the systems (phpBB or the other) then whenever someone clicks into phpbb and the auth routine is run check to se if the any data needs copied. Not sure if I am clear on that. I know what I am thinking in my head but having trouble writing it. :D

Michael.Vastola

I didn't mean that I would have to have the script check on every page load, I mean that I would have to update just about every file in the phpBB distribution to be compatable with my database. I understand what you said, but the forums aren't the main part of my site, so I can't disable the editing of user information on my main site. If I do that on the forums, users won't be able to update fields such as their signature, which are not accessable from the main site. Optimally though, I would prefer to set it up so that there is no duplicate data (Of course, one column on the users table for phpBB and my main site must match, but I don't really want all user information to be copied over at each login. The user data is updated regularly in the main database and I would prefer a user not having to re-login to update the forum's copy).

CreatixEA

Post by CreatixEA »

As we've done on our website it exists a link table bitween both

libertate

Post by libertate »

What I am planning to do is as follows:

Environment:
internal login
Non-phpBB forum software
All information in postings in the non-phpBB forum is pulled from session variables, loaded when logged in using internal security.

Project plan:
* Install phpBB 2.0.2
* Convert all messages to 2.0.2 (there is no "newer" converter from the non-phpBB forum to phpBB available)
* Run single time updates on posts (there are some fields aren't correctly translated)
* Upgrade from 2.0.2 to 2.2
* Add all additional fields for user profiles we have in the Internal profile/login
* Transfer data from Internal profile/login to phpBB 2.2 user DB.
* Verify All posts are linking to appropriate user profiles
* Pray to the good Lord that 'External Level Auth' is a deployed MOD for 2.2 version

That is it. I suggest you search on the regular phpBB community for 'External Level Auth' and use those codes, in combination with the information on additional profile fields for now. I have tried it and worked. My problem is with the conversion.

Good luck and let us know.
Michael.Vastola wrote:I didn't mean that I would have to have the script check on every page load, I mean that I would have to update just about every file in the phpBB distribution to be compatable with my database. I understand what you said, but the forums aren't the main part of my site, so I can't disable the editing of user information on my main site. If I do that on the forums, users won't be able to update fields such as their signature, which are not accessable from the main site. Optimally though, I would prefer to set it up so that there is no duplicate data (Of course, one column on the users table for phpBB and my main site must match, but I don't really want all user information to be copied over at each login. The user data is updated regularly in the main database and I would prefer a user not having to re-login to update the forum's copy).
Libertate
P i s c e s _ M o r t u i s _ S o l i s _ Q u a e _ N a t a n t _ C u m _ F l u c t u m