Why not as clearly in the administration as vBB, WBB etc.. ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Viper007Bond

Re: Why not as clearly in the administration as vBB, WBB etc

Post by Viper007Bond »

redlabour wrote:1. phpBB only user has because it no money costs. Nearly everyone wants otherwise vBulletin or WBB.
Yes, I use it 'cause it's free and I'm a cheap punk. However, phpBB is by FAR my favorite forum software, even including the non-free ones. Why would I pay for horrible forum software compared to phpBB?

If you don't like phpBB, then don't use it. It's as simple as that. No one forces you to use it and there are plenty of other choices for you to choose from. ;)
| Viper007Bond | My Website |

Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

starwiz wrote:I'm an admin on an Invision forum right now, and PHPBB is a lot better...it just gets the little things, like file uploading, right...you can bet I'll be moving over as soon as 2.2 is released!
phpbb22user++; :D

I tried Invision, oh, a year or two ago, I dropped it because first of all, it wouldn't install, and second, I found the user-friendly forum that is phpBB2. My god was I pleased with phpBB2, I see absolutley nothing confusing or "not-right" with the way it is laid out, I think it was done very well. Well, maybe the CVS snapshots have a bit to go, but I am still pleased. Plus the fact that it is completley open-source is a big plus.

JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

I understand do not what he saying is. :lol:

Talrias

Post by Talrias »

JAMMAN wrote:I understand do not what he saying is. :lol:
there are some people in the world who's native language is _not_ english, and you should be encouraging their efforts in using it, not critisizing them.
"if triangles had a god, He'd have three sides."

JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

Ok, I'm sorry.

Sounded as if he was knocking the entire "why" of phpbb and having used many board softwares I understand completely "why" phpbb. I'm not just a fan, I would not use it and would even pay for another if there were enough advantages. I see no advantages to other software.

Q:Jedi

Post by Q:Jedi »

vBulletin? EWWWWWWWWW.........................
I don't understand why people use that **** when you can use phpBB or Invision. Tell me one reason. Explain that reason if it's "more features".
People (or rather organisations) use vB because:
hmmm.... we have to pay for it, so it must be good!

And the features... well yes there's a lot, but most of them are surlpus to absolutely everyone's requirements. All that stupid emailing. Useless.

smigit

Post by smigit »

Actually id say the reason businesses and corporations use Vbulletin isnt because its expensive thus "Must be good" as such but rather because you are buying support. Although phpBB's community is generally good at helping customers there is no firm guarantee that each person well be looked at or issue solved. Its unusual for this happen but with Vbulletin you can contact support directly, making Vbulletin a "safer" choice for a large business who can afford it.

doesnt make it a better choice but :wink:

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

I look at big businesses buying the support, and I wonder why they just don't make sure their IT people are competent in what they're doing. I suppose it's hard to make them accountable without having at least one person who knows what's going on. Still, if you're a business and you're running a forum, and your IT guy can't fix the problem without a technical support line.. well, I wonder. I know it's contrary to how I'd want my people trained, if I had a business with peopel to train.

It lends more creedence to the idea that they buy simply because of the price tag, in reference to "More expensive is better." Of course, this begs the question of why people would bother with vBulletin at all, when Infopop products are clearly more expensive.

Blokker_1999

Post by Blokker_1999 »

phpBB2 was the editors choice in a belgian magazine where they compared it with some other boards. The only negative point they could come up with was that changing the lay-out wasn't easy and that most of the time you would easely notice it was phpBB

mattd89

Post by mattd89 »

psoTFX wrote:I have a complete and utter dislike for people showing zero repect for the hours given freely by team members ... and you're doing a fine job of demonstrating this.
Exactly! I can't stand people like that. It's hard work trying to run anything to do with the internet !

(Sorry i'm so late to reply :( )