Calendar ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Gogeta

Re: Calendar ?

Post by Gogeta »

dhn wrote:
madyz wrote:why there isnt a calendar ? :cry:

The developers don't feel that a calendar is a necessary feature for a forum software and I agree. There will for sure be MODs though.
Why not? Your users can know if sertain events are coming!

:x
phpBB Is The one That Owns all.

Gogeta

Post by Gogeta »

psoTFX wrote:I know this has been said ... and most already know ... but just to reiterate ... phpBB will not feature a calendar, not while I'm in charge of development :) We are a forum, not a scheduling system ... if you want a calendar, install a Mod or an appropriate portal.
(Didn't see your post, Paul)
phpBB Is The one That Owns all.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I really have to disagree with most of the development team here. Sorry guys i love your work, but a Calendar really does have its uses.

One project I am working on in the NHS is creating a community of Health Professionals in East Lancashire, one part of this is an Events forum. People post events that are coming up and place on a calendar, these are then reviewed by people who are attended. It great being able to look at a monthly event sheet and pick up whats going on.

Even for company intranets the system is used for people to post meetings and have these meetings attached minutes and agendas. For pre-post meeting discussion.

Don't get me wrong I am a magician and I did you a calendar to advertise gigs and stuff but the same can be done with just posting a couple of lines of HTML, how ever on a large scale where you want the community to post events, well then you need a calendar based system.

But luckily there are some very talented people out there who with any luck can produce a MOD, its just such a pain for updating the boards. Don't get me wrong the majority of users I think dont need a calendar just dont dismiss it as a use less feature

Kind Regards

Barry

Kind Regards

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

No one said that a calendar is a useless feature. If someone wants a calendar, then they can create a MOD. Everyone has their own tastes as far as they would like to see in a calendar and where it would go on a site. Many sites already have calendars, but they are separate from their bulletin board. So why should the developers include one in phpBB, when most users would probably wind up turning off the feature and go with their own favorite calendar program?

ifonline

Post by ifonline »

If someone can show me a use for a callendar on a forum other than to say "I r00l I've got a callendar mod" then I might consider having a stance on this =/
See: http://www.georgiariders.org" target="_blank

I use a Calendar to display upcoming rides and events (such as Charity motorcycle events) and such. Works great for my board.

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

I also need a calendar for my community, but in my opinion is that a feature the bigger part of the user really don't depend on. A bulletin board primary is a place for discussion and not an all-in-one device suitable for every purpose. I don't like boards with lots and lots of installed functions, mods and other stuff nobody really needs. phpBB is a slim and fast bb-application and I'm quite sure that, THIS is one of the major causes for it's success.

regards, Dave
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Yup. Again, go to hotscripts.com or sourceforge.net and see the hundreds of calendar programs available. Check them out, and see how many feature requests each ones has. Also note how different each one looks, given the range of choices and the presentation formats available.

Calendar programs are huge undertakings unto themselves. The phpBB team has its hands full with developing a bulletin board system. Why undertake another huge project, especially when so many others out there are already working on them?

Again, users of phpBB can either use a MOD to wedge a calendar into their board, or as most webmasters do, put a calendar on their site outside of their phpBB implementation.

olger901

Post by olger901 »

There are many people who want a Calendar, I am sure there will come a MOD out for it.
-

ScarabWeb

Post by ScarabWeb »

A calendar will be included in the portal system which is ready to be developed by us as soon as the first beta of phpBB3 arrives ;)