WYSIWYG message board?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DoD

Re: WYSIWYG message board?

Post by DoD »

Those links were NOT cross browser compliant.

The first had never been tested in Opera - it simply doesnt display right. And its not Opera, Its very bad code.

Fortunately, it didnt crash me like SamG, but i'm using 7.5p3

snw

Post by snw »

I'm a member at a couple of vBulletin powered forums, and their WYSIWYG editor doesn't work in Safari. Does it work in anything other than IE6? If not, damn them for only thinking about the largest group.

-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

GeZe wrote:the beta version of HTMLArea is out.
It's not the Beta but the RC1 ;)

About Opera it can not support ANY WYSIWYG feature write in JS! :roll:
Eternal newbie

SamG

Post by SamG »

snw wrote:I'm a member at a couple of vBulletin powered forums, and their WYSIWYG editor doesn't work in Safari. Does it work in anything other than IE6? If not, damn them for only thinking about the largest group.
In fairness, until not too long ago, all this textarea wizardry was IE only. It may take some time for coders to adjust to the new "me too, and to hell with the standards" attitude of non-IE browsers.

And I don't mind saying that the WYSIWYG stuff I've seen so far loads too slow on a dial-up connection for it to be much fun for long ... the old text-only BBSs (which we all managed to communicate on very well, even without BBCode 8O ) loading up at 300 baud might have been a hair faster :lol: .

snw

Post by snw »

Wait, I thought the other browsers followed open standards and M$ did their proprietary crap with IE.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Not in this particular case, as far as I know. If ECMAScript supports the IE TextRange object, then I'm mistaken. But so far as I know, the stuff IE introduced and that allows dynamic activity in textarea is entirely non-standard.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

ossipetz

Post by ossipetz »

well if a opera crashes when loading 'unkown' script code i would blame operasoft

http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm" target="_blank
at least recognizes opera correctly.

there will always be people in a 'not working' state. turn scripting off, certain antivir software blocking partially js-function calls and so on and so on... IE might not be standarts compliant, but it was (and may still is) a fast and capable webbrowser.

ie 6 is quite some years old now. opera still cant really compete with it. sad thing :roll:

i agree: rte requires highspeed-connections to be 'fun'. waiting to long to be able to 'reply' (or waiting at all :-p ) is no good :)

DoD

Post by DoD »

Why blame opera when someone has specifically coded a script for IE?

Opera is fully standards compliant. If people stuck to that, it wouldnt be a problem. But, no, everyone only ever thinks about IE. Yes, IE can handle things others cant, but since IE made it...

Opera not up to MSIE6 standards? lol!

Its one of the great things with phpBB - I can choose which browser i want to use without things being broken.

Also, Opera doesnt crash, it just doesnt like the code (displays horribly wrong for me, its BAD CODE. Not Opera handling it wrong)

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

thats a good point, it would be nice if you could turn it on and off though 8)

SamG

Post by SamG »

DoD wrote:Why blame opera ... ?
Exactly. I begin to wonder if some people are actually paying attention in this thread. If Opera elect to follow published, open standards as they deem appropriate, how is that suddenly a bad thing? Navigator/Mozilla/et al get nothing but high marks for being built on a very standards-compliant engine, yet Opera gets criticized when it happens to be just a little more standards-compliant in this one area. A double standard all for the sake of WYSIWYG? This is a different song than the Navigator/Moz people were singing back when it was their browser that didn't work with phpBB 2.0's text insertion feature.

When the concepts "cross [graphical] browser," "quick reply, " and "WYSIWYG" all fit, appropriately, in the same sentence, bring WYSIWYG on. Until then, I give up.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood