WYSIWYG message board?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
SamG

Re: WYSIWYG message board?

Post by SamG »

Indeed! :mrgreen:

artiprinted

Post by artiprinted »

Umm... DotNetNuke has a neat wysiwyg editor. The component that it uses it is FreeTextBox.com.

Although, DNN is slow compared to phpbb.

Most of the time the data behind the wysiwyg is pure htm. WikiMedia also has a good add on. I have seen it work, but i cannot get it to install.

http://www.fckeditor.net/ has a nice php editor used in the wiki world.

Mephistox

Post by Mephistox »

I think its time we forget about people using old browsers and resolutions lower then 1024 x 768....
Its 2006 for crying out loud... if you can't download firefox or opera or IE7 by now and you're still running in 800x600, chances are you're not visiting web forums in the first place.

titan485

Post by titan485 »

It could be turned on and off? I believe ipb has a wysiwyg feature?

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Mephistox wrote: I think its time we forget about people using old browsers and resolutions lower then 1024 x 768....
Its 2006 for crying out loud... if you can't download firefox or opera or IE7 by now and you're still running in 800x600, chances are you're not visiting web forums in the first place.

Eh, I do not completely disagree that you can't damn yourself trying to make things work in totally outdated systems; I mean, if something doesn't work on Win 3.1 or IE4, who cares? almost no one still uses them; IT is a young field and has grown very rapidly in the past years, so you can't think to go on with 10-year-old software or hardware; you just cannot keep using Win95 or a Pentium 75MHz nowadays, or at least you can't think you'll be able to do with it the same things others do with a WinXP Pentium4 3GHz. In 2020, when the technology will have been developed and will be more stable and reliable, then life of machinery and software will be (I hope) longer.
This said, I also think is totally wicked to make software that works perfectly, "you just have to have WinXP SP2 with IE7 update 1 on a Intel 2GHz dual-core" etc; it is somewhat bastard if you are a producer (doing this kind of things to force users switch to some upperlevel product of yours); it is totally nonsensical if you make this software for free (so you have no advantages to force people buy Win Vista, the only thing you can get is their hatred).
800x600 is still used by 11% of people.
IE6 is used by 80% of people.
Data from my website.
IE7 can be installed only on Win Vista and *legitimate* Win XP SP2; or yes, you can force people switch to Firefox... good luck. :roll:

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

Better yet, stop making fixed width web pages and give ie6 users an annoying message on every screen that tells them their browser sucks. thats what I'm doing.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

jimmygoon wrote: Better yet, stop making fixed width web pages and give ie6 users an annoying message on every screen that tells them their browser sucks. thats what I'm doing.

Great policy. If you are willing to lose users.
Realistically, unless the majority of webmasters does like you, the only thing you will get is users out of your site.

That said, I was thinking too to add a small advice on the top of each page (like IE security messages) that invites IE6 users to switch to IE7 or, even better, Firefox.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

jimmygoon wrote: Better yet, stop making fixed width web pages and give ie6 users an annoying message on every screen that tells them their browser sucks. thats what I'm doing.

yeah sure. suppose you can't get CSS to work for every browser, sigh..

Nicholas: I just let them, I don't care what tehy use. as long as it shows as it should, no problems here.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Mephistox wrote: I think its time we forget about people using old browsers and resolutions lower then 1024 x 768....

I usually run my browser window (or the display portion of it, at least, since I use AIOSB) at a width of less than 1000 pixels, and sometimes as narrow as about 900 pixels. Anything wider or narrower than those two numbers usually looks a little odd to me.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

Uchiha Nick wrote:

yeah sure. suppose you can't get CSS to work for every browser, sigh..

Nicholas: I just let them, I don't care what tehy use. as long as it shows as it should, no problems here.

I'm confused... are you agreeing? I'm not completely giving the shaft to IE6 users but for crying out loud... If you can't drive a car should Walmart have to deliver groceries to your house!? I try my hardest but there are so many annoying bugs that it becomes impossible in some of my pages to NOT drop support for IE6, else I end up screwing my validation and screwing over the CORRECT browsers... My goal is to make it so that the people using good browsers get the RIGHT GREAT design and the others get a message telling them to upgrade, that there experience may not be great... They'll either go "OH! Sweet!" or "nah maybe later" and continue on viewing....

Besides... everyone glazed over the whole "stop using fixed width" thing...