WYSIWYG message board?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
olger901

Re: WYSIWYG message board?

Post by olger901 »

What about making this user chooseable meaning the user can choose if he wants to use a WYSIWYG at a reply box or just the normal plain old way? Lathough I prefer the old way, without wysiwyg but seeing this as a solution for both groups?
-

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Because (as has been explained ad nauseum) there's no way to both make it cross-browser compatible on all browsers, and to make everyone happy. I'm sure there will be a mod for it at some point, but it really is something to keep out of the vanilla installation.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

[frost.]

Post by [frost.] »

Because (as has been explained ad nauseum) there's no way to both make it cross-browser compatible on all browsers, and to make everyone happy.
From what I read, it was possible, they just didn't want to code it.

Also, the most annoying thing I've seen thusfar is
If a user can't figure out BBCode...
which has been repeated in several different forms and is starting to get a bit annoying. The issue of users being ignorant concerning BB Code was never raised except by wysiwyg detractors.

Personally, were it not a difficult system to support, I would push for this to be included in the first release myself. It isn't a matter of user learning curves or anything else so scornfully pointed out. wysiwyg editors are simply more professional looking. I'm not a fan of the button formats either. Email services (in my opinion) have it right. Whether a user can learn the code or not is irrelevant. The service provider (in this case, the administrators of each board) should be bending over backwards to accomodate the users. It's called customer service, and it applies as much for free services as it does for commercial products.

Couched within that statement is another belief of mine - wysiwyg and similar features are not the responsibility of the phpBB development team. This brings us back to Martin Blank's post, specifically the only relevent segment of that post, which was
...there's no way to both make it cross-browser compatible on all browsers, and to make everyone happy.
It is always impossible to make everyone happy. And for some reason, such a simple issue as wysiwyg editting as a feature to be included in the next release of phpBB is loaded enough to incite ridicule of people the posters of such comments have never even met.

>_>

And until such people realize that BBCode has nothing to do with so called "1337" status, wysiwyg will remain irrationally contested.

The feature is obviously implementable. And it will be released, by the appropriate party - the community itself, which usually finds a way to incorproate the features they want. I myself am eager to see a wysiwyg editor and flush buttons similar to MSWord's on my installation of phpBB 2.2 (sometime before the next iceage).

Rant at that.

(Note: BBCode entered manually throughout. :o omfg! I guess proponents of wysiwyg aren't total incompetents after all...)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

[frost.] wrote:
Because (as has been explained ad nauseum) there's no way to both make it cross-browser compatible on all browsers, and to make everyone happy.
From what I read, it was possible, they just didn't want to code it.
You misread what I wrote. Allow me to clarify:

There's no way to both make it cross-browser compatible on all browsers, and to make everyone happy.

Meaning: There's no way to do both at the same time. As it stands, people complain about some of the new features. The new permissions architecture is going to result in a lot of people scratching their heads.

Elf

Post by Elf »

Editor is expected In versions IPB 2.1. Than phpBB worse? The Developers do not want its build in?

I remind. I very badly speak on English!

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

No, the developers don't want to build a WYSIWYG editor in. If you want it and think that IPB will provide a better experience, then use IPB. The developers will tell you exactly the same thing.

SamG

Post by SamG »

[frost.] wrote:From what I read, it was possible, they just didn't want to code it.
You make it sound as if the decision is arbitrary. Many things are possible that are not equally practicable or (for those concerned about it) standardized. Client-side-dependent core features could fall into that category, at least at this stage of growth within the Web.
[frost.] wrote:... [F]or some reason, such a simple issue as wysiwyg editting as a feature to be included in the next release of phpBB is loaded enough to incite ridicule of people the posters of such comments have never even met.
Ridicule contributes little, if anything, to this discussion -- agreed. But those who continually refer to the issue as "simple" aren't playing exactly fair either. It's not at all simple, even if doable. Even if desireable. Even if preferable. Until the Web moves to a point where developers have a true API for browsers (rather than the kludge which JavaScript is for things like this), WYSIWYG is anything but simple either as a decision or as a feature.

Just my opinion ...
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Bdis86

Post by Bdis86 »

I tend to agree with the developers that it shouldn't be included. It's much better suited for a mod that you can turn on or off. It's not a required element of a board.
-Bill

link92

Post by link92 »

Wert wrote:I like the feature also, but....

All the cross browser solutions I"ve seen tend to be fairly large in size leading to a lot of bloat that we may not want in phpBB.
vBulletin solution cross browser?? I thought Safari was meant to be more standard complainant than IE, yet IE and Mozilla support it, while Safari does not :(
Bored as hell. May as well put myself through the (X)HTML validator to see how invalid I am.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

link92 wrote:(../..)I thought Safari was meant to be more standard complainant than IE, yet IE and Mozilla support it, while Safari does not
Non sense: 96% of the hits to sites are done with IE6, so the standard is IE. This can be viewed as a bad thing or a good thing, but this doesn't really matter. Facts are here ;).