Jabber support

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Not Radio

Re: Jabber support

Post by Not Radio »

Miranda IM is a nice all-in-one solution for windows users.
rblanc

Post by rblanc »

Wouldn't be nice if someone was to describe Jabber - it benefits and how you can Jab others? In otherwords why is it significant to connect phpBB to Jabber?

Rick
VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

rblanc wrote:Wouldn't be nice if someone was to describe Jabber - it benefits and how you can Jab others? In otherwords why is it significant to connect phpBB to Jabber?
It would be nice, but we don't hand you information on a Silver Platter here. We come around with sampler trays instead.

Jabber is open source, and can be used by almost anything, not just a human. Granted that isn't true for all the protocols, but it's nice.
Message queueing if a connection/session/user is offline.
Servers can be set up by anyone (even you!), and can communicate with any other user, on any other server.
It's quite literally instant messaging e-mail.

http://www.jabber.org" target="_blank , join the fun.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"
rblanc

Post by rblanc »

This statement just does not make good sense.
It would be nice, but we don't hand you information on a Silver Platter here. We come around with sampler trays instead.
Forums are generally a meeting place for help and collaboration. It also acts to attract new members who will take interest and contribute the community.

Is the statement "we don't hand you information on a Silver Platter" an official statement by the moderators of this forum? I disagree, explaining what is a product before it is introduced so that others are not left out and may participate is just not thinking about the what this implies.

You may not have said it, but the your statement implies elitist. I don't think you meant that at all. I have not visted this board much - but I am sure you have helped many phpBB users.

In your signiture you display - "If You Support It, They Will Come."
May I add, " If you bring a level of hospitality to it, they will return."
Last edited by rblanc on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Look. My signature has nothing to do with the topic at hand, it's something that I made up ages ago, and use it in my signature on various tech forums.

Second, no I'm not a moderator, I said that because people ask things on this forum that they can very easily find out themselves elsewbere.

And (I'm speaking out of Moderator Experience on ANOTHER forum, not related to phpBB) yes, we should provide them with the information they request, but not over and over and over, and users can search first. It saves everyone time.

Lastly, I provided the details of why phpBB USES Jabber, but not details ABOUT Jabber itself. Don't attack me for being rude when I still provided some details.

And again, yes forums are for help and collaboration, but as I've already said, the information is already there, and any given person (whether they have status or not) isn't your personal information consolidator.

To top it off, do this. Click search, type in jabber, and read through the results. Perhaps, be more specific, Jabber AND Integration.

Do you find the answer to what was previously asked?

I do.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"
rblanc

Post by rblanc »

Hi VxJasonxV,

You did answer my question on your first reply and thank you. I was referring to the statement - "On a silver platter" This statement could be mistaken as a philosophy shared among phpBB forum moderators.

This discussion would have been avoided if that statement was not made or stated differently.

Thank you for your response.

Rick
CoreIssue

Post by CoreIssue »

I finally got to curious and installed a CVS version. Been looking around.

Jabber looks like it will be great for a lot of Forums needs but I am not sure if I want it for mine.

Poking around on the Jabber site and so on it looks like a sophisticated Chat Room with IM functions using the email.

We do not use Chat Rooms at all. But we do use the Prillian for IM's and love it. The post box set up with BB Codes and smilies is sweet for our needs.

Yep, it has some bugs but it still, for us, is superior to everything else I have seen.

So, strictly from where my needs are coming from can it add functionality like Prill regarding BB Codes and smilies? Be limited to Intraboard use only? Be as simple as Prill in use, i.e. click the online person and just enter the message to them? Auto pop up and so on?

I am also concerned with messages leaving my server files. That makes the speed of communications not only linked to my Forum's speed but the speed of everything in the loop from sender to receiver.

Am I missing something here? Because if I have it right I do not forsee my using it which would be a disappointment for me.

Again, I realize that many will find this a sweet functionality.

But many need to realize that Forums used where there are mainly non tech people using it for non tech issues simplicity and ease of use are paramont. Along with features tech people may not give a hoot about.

2.2 is sure looking sweet. Looking forward to its release and mods for it my members use a ton, like ShoutBox, Prill (or Jabber??) and a couple of others. :mrgreen:
delos

Post by delos »

i reccomend psi for the jabber client. works on windows, linux and others.....

for those who don't know: jabber is a powerful open source message system. it combines the best featuers of other protocols. messages, chats, groupchats (equal to irc chatrooms) etc...
most jabber servers also allow connections to other services (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, AOL....).
you can also leave your client logged on in several places at the same time (home, work, school...) and choose, where you want your messages delivered.

i discovered jabber for miself after reading that phpbb will support it. i am a phpbb translator and since 2.2 is not ready yet, i am translating psi at the moment. it actually has more lines to translate than phpbb2.0 :)
Lost

Post by Lost »

elektra wrote:Is there any kind of conferencing support? My people would probably install whatever jabber client I pointed them at, but the forum interface would have to support local jabber conferences (chatrooms) to make it worth their while. They would like to chat to their friends on the forum chatroom. Without that, Jabber is just another big ole empty chatspace and they have to hunt around for their buddies (or does phpbb manage the roster?)
Exactly what I was thinking. The ability to setup a groupchat for the visitors of the forum would be a great feature. Maybe in version 2.3 :wink:?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

s/2.3./2.4 ;)

I seriously doubt any sort of "chat" feature in phpBB any time soon, but my Crystal Ball has been wrong many times before 8)
A_Jelly_Doughnut