Jabber support

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
elektra

Re: Jabber support

Post by elektra »

Sounds like good news. Jabber has a lot of potential and phpbb could make a good marriage for both parties. I think I'll maybe grab a copy of 2.2 and have a bit of a play around.

But before I do that, one question. Is there any kind of conferencing support? My people would probably install whatever jabber client I pointed them at, but the forum interface would have to support local jabber conferences (chatrooms) to make it worth their while. They would like to chat to their friends on the forum chatroom. Without that, Jabber is just another big ole empty chatspace and they have to hunt around for their buddies (or does phpbb manage the roster?)
Elektra

cgranade

Post by cgranade »

C'mon... chatrooms are sooo 20th-century. Seriously, tho, isn't that what IRC is for?

R45

Post by R45 »

I use a jabber server in my office, quite a useful addition since all the workstations also use a phpBB board to communicate :)

Romuald

Post by Romuald »

Jabber and phpBB .... Excellent. 8)

Ploum

Post by Ploum »

It's really cool to have Jabber support in phpbb ! thx :D

But, will the jabber icon reflect your status ? I try to do it with phpbb2.0 and it must be easy for a good phpbb hacker !
=> http://frimouvy.udev.org/forumvideo2/vi ... php?t=1231" target="_blank

Anyway, thanx a lot for jabber :D

Viper007Bond

Post by Viper007Bond »

xEik wrote:Now what I need is that some people recommend their favourite jabber client.
Trillian Pro 2.0 Beta 3 for me.
| Viper007Bond | My Website |

Ploum

Post by Ploum »

I personnaly recommend psi : http://psi.affinix.com" target="_blank

whofarted

Post by whofarted »

I just found out about jabber a few days ago. I moved from trillian to jabber. I like the Miranda flavor myself because they have 193 plug-ins, 345 customisations, 34 tools, development information & most important a forum ( phpBB :) ) where you can get tech support, ask questions ect. & its free. :wink:

A few others I looked at looked nice but not really setup for fast tech support, suggestions or anything else so your pretty much on your own.
you smell something?

nordeep

Post by nordeep »

Where i can get jabber mod for phpbb ?

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Trillian can work with Jabber? I never knew that

I recommend myJabber as a Jabber client, it's pretty easy and is supposed to be cross-compatible with other IM'ing software.

IRC is internet relay chat- it is simply another form of instant messaging that has its own protocol. For example phpBB's channel, irc://irc.freenode.net/phpBB" target="_blank . IRC clients include mIRC, Mozilla's/FireFox's ChatZilla, Trillian, etc.

nordeep: I'd not worry about getting a Jabber MOD for phpBB 2.0.8a. It's already implemented in 2.2, as you've probably already seen.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email