Jabber support

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
SHS`

Re: Jabber support

Post by SHS` »

konni_b wrote: THE REALLY WEIRD thing tho - is the post date on all the posts here - they read october 2004, june 2005, and current june 2006 - when the heck was beta 3 released?
Beta1 was released on the 17th June 2006 (phpBB's 6th birthday), though phpBB3 (previously 2.2) has been worked on for the best part of 4 years. :P The whole Jabber feature is actually rather "old" (dates back to mid 2003). :P
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

that was phpBB birthday, dang i should have sent a Shreck 2 DVD to it lol jk jk
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

commonguy

Post by commonguy »

How do you use Jabber on PhpBB3? :?:

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

gah, I keep searching for information on Jabber, but I just get a bunch of people telling me to use the search function on Jabber :P

So if I'm right as it stands:

1) I go to my profile and put my blah@googlemail.com into my Jabber Address
2) I then add phpbb22@jabber.org to my buddies on googletalk (why phpbb22 or is it phpbb3 now?)
3) Someone "Jabs" me on the forum by clicking the jabber button typing a message and then sending
4) I get a message on googletalk instantly saying "Hello" or whatever, I then reply
5) The person gets a reply back? How does jabber know who to reply to? Or is the jabber integration only one way?

Loads of people keep referring me to website about how I can get my own jabber server? I'm confused why I would want that? I mean the majority of phpbb3 users surely would not have a need to set up their own Jabber server? I don't need a jabber server for this to work do I?

Is that whole "phpbb22@jabber.org" actually just the address of a user on the jabber server. If I had my own jabber server I could ask my users to add "blah@blah.co.uk" to their google talk list?

Does that mean "phpbb22@jabber.org" only applies to forums that are using that as their jabber server? On my googletalk list I'll have to add a different buddy for every website I sign up to and use Jabber? (Which means using a different client might be better?)

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

I believe the Jabber integration is solely for notifications. You get a Jabber message when someone sends you a private message or something. It works something like this:
  1. You find a jabber server, like jabber.org
  2. You register phpBB an account (it might be able to do that by itself, not sure)
  3. Put in whateveryouwant@jabber.org in the ACP options
  4. Someone sends you a PM, a little box pops up on your computer from your Jabber client saying "You have a new PM at yoursite.com!"
Or something. Wait for the documentation to come around.