Karma Level

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
SilverSnake8

Karma Level

Post by SilverSnake8 »

what is it?
Last edited by SilverSnake8 on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yea, so I don't like Bush! :P

psoTFX

Re: Karma Level

Post by psoTFX »

Something I'm playing with way ahead of its planned introduction.

dhn

Post by dhn »

It's the best thing sice the invention of sliced bread and peanut butter!

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The idea is that it gives a "fairer" representation of just how worthwhile a member is than their post count. By rating a users posts as good or bad you influence their level of karma. The more "good" reviews someone gets the more positive their karma will be. And vice versa for "bad" reviews.

So, if used wisely it should be possible (for example) to better represent someone who may only have posted a few dozens times but whose posts have been very useful ... from those who've posted a few thousand times but where their posts consist of "Yeah, I agree" or "ROFL", etc. :)

In time the intention is to allow karma to be used in the event system (assuming we implement it :D).

Of course, like anything it could be abused ... although you have complete control over just who can rate posts in a forum.

dhn

Post by dhn »

This has so many advantages. If everything works out as imagined, finally quality will be a bigger factor than quantity. Goodbye postcount as the major criterion for the community importance of a user. :)

SilverString

Post by SilverString »

thats cool.
good thinking, ive never seen it done before 8)

SilverString

Post by SilverString »

lol, i went to the UCP and selected not to view posts by people if a karma of less than 5 and all the posts were hidden.
i like the way it allows you to view them with a link next to each one

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

So that is what this bar below the usernames is? The one with about 10 small boxes?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

kopacko

Post by kopacko »

I love it, how does a user check to see what their karma rating is?

dhn

Post by dhn »

kopacko wrote:I love it, how does a user check to see what their karma rating is?
I guess you'll only have the level graphic below your Username as a comparison. And I don't think it is needed to know more. Knowing e.g. when to get to the next karma step may lead to "karma whoring" which is by no means as bad as spamming to increase your postcount, but can still be very annyoying.