Karma Level

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Roberdin

Re: Karma Level

Post by Roberdin »

:)
Rob

lwq

Post by lwq »

Check UCP
lwq

twistedcain

Post by twistedcain »

Ok, read all 18 pages, 8O A lot of broken tables, so it took a little longer than usual and my terrible curiousity makes me click on all negative karma posts just to see what gets you negative.

Here's my thoughts...

So a user posts a, "Woohoo, I got first post." Most likely this person will get bad karma from every user that see's the post plummeting him into oblivion. So i'm guessing there must be a limit on how much bad karma a user can take on one post. Maybe 10 users and then it's just a bad post and subsequent users voting on the post won't damage the user anymore.

How about every time a user gets a "bad post", meaning 10 users didn't like his post, that post plus one of his other posts gets scrunched down. Now the next time that user writes a bad post he loses that post plus 3 others and the next time 8 then 16 then 32, u get the point. So even if the user doesn't yet have 32 posts, it just means that his future posts will be scrunched.

The thing that is confusing me the most is how users are supposed to gain karma on posts when people can no longer read their posts. Some people talk about gaining points back daily, but that's out of the limits of just php and mysql.

How about, first telling a user that he has x amount of his posts being scrunched. The user can then either choose to not care or have a choice of going through his posts and deleting the offending posts and having to ax other posts. This would not regain his karma level completely. It would just help clean up useless posts from the message boards without the moderator having to do it. It would also lower the amount of posts the user has.

Now to clean up his karma level completely, give the user a choice to delete all of his posts or if he has, lets say, over 100 than to delete half his posts. To keep the user honest he would only be allowed to delete posts (for karma recovery) that are over 5 days old. This would keep the user from posting a quick 50 posts at 2am and then deleting them immediatelly.

The user should also be able to recover or even gain levels by users voting on good posts, maybe if 20 users vote it good. So this way a user could earn some get out of jail free cards. I don't think you should give a user 32 freebies, maybe 5 or 10 at most.

In the end, when you see that a user has 2000 posts you would know that they are legitimate ones.

As for moderators, scrunching their posts might be a bad idea but maybe you could add a red circle with a bar through it next to their post if 10 users decided it was just a bad post. That way users can still say that a moderators post was bad. A red circle should also make the moderators post not count in his total posts. So, lets say a admin has 5 guys moderating his boards. He could find out in a matter of months which mods the users like and which mods they don't.

Sorry about the long post :?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

With the present system, votes from more than a few days old has less "weight" than new votes. This means thatys the overall karma is affected.
Rob

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

Roberdin wrote:With the present system, votes from more than a few days old has less "weight" than new votes. This means thatys the overall karma is affected.
Good to hear that :) But as I said elsewhere there are a lot of other questions left unanswered.

Eko

Post by Eko »

In the Karma prefs of the boards, there are a bunch of categories. Are these actual weights (as in, oldposts*5 if the oldposts field is 5), or is it oldposts*.05 like a percent? I think the second is more intuitive, but the first seems to be the way it is laid out in the prefs.
Also, could there be an option to keep track of Karma and not show the bar? or have a text that says (in green or red) +3, -2, -5, 0, etc at the bottom of the TD under the username? I can see that little logo getting annoying, but the feature is great.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Karma images are theme dependant. Plus, the words "Very Good", "Neutral", etc, can be modified to a more quantative form via the lang files. :)
Rob

nezermundy

Post by nezermundy »

Can anyone give an update on this?

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

This is one of the bigger necros that I've seen here.

A quick search would have revealed that karma has been dropped from this release, and is unlikely to make an appearance without a major rethink in the architecture.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

Karma has been dropped from the initial release of phpBB 3, however in a future revision there might be a chance that Karma will make a comeback or it will be relegated to the level of a simple mod. either way original Karma system was fundamentally flawed and as such there is a thread that is about remaking the Karma system from the ground up.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19408