Karma Level

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
carpetbagger

Re: Karma Level

Post by carpetbagger »

psoTFX wrote "Something I'm playing with way ahead of its planned introduction."

Just to clarify....

Has it definitely been decided to try to include the Karma system in 2.2?

As you know (but others may not), I have developed a 'rating system' MOD for 2.0.x which is essentially the same thing, I just don't call it Karma.

I've had it running on my site since October and have learned a lot which might help in the development of the phpBB karma. One example - give admins the choice of having only 'positive' ratings i.e. no 'bad', as this can otherwise lead to arguments and disruption on certain sites

Must admit, I personally would not want to see the release of 2.2 delayed any further. Those who want Karma-type capability could use my mod and then migrate to the 'official' karma system as and when it appears. Just my view, of course ;)
Last edited by carpetbagger on Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using phpBB3 in the UK? - http://www.rpoints.com/phpbb

TC

Post by TC »

carpetbagger wrote:Has it definitely been decided to try to include the Karma system in 2.2?
AFAIK, yes.
2 8 : 0 6 : 4 2 : 1 2

miraclewhipkey

Post by miraclewhipkey »

My apologies if this was discussed in the last couple pages (I read the first 6 and decided to go ahead and post).

I like this idea a lot. Here are some of my concerns/desires:

The thing I see happen all the time in these communities is personal battles and sometimes even clique/elitist muscle-flexing. I see the potential for the Karma system to be abused in that way quite a bit, if it were to just be a good/bad rating. Before I would use it, I would really want to see the history of the user doing the rating considered in the rating they are giving.

To clarify... lets say Joe is a decent guy who posts responsibly and doesn't really spam or cause trouble, but occasionally will speak honestly enough to bother someone. Lets say Mike is an obnoxious guy who not only annoys other people, but he takes everything way too seriously, and rates people like Joe with bad Karma all the time. I think that if Mike has a poor karma rating, his rating of another user should carry less wieght, good or bad. But if Joe has good karma, his rating means a lot more when he rates other users. Maybe the Karma rating points given to a user when another user clicks the rating link can be determined by the karma power they have to give.

Just thinking out loud.
Last edited by miraclewhipkey on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heimidal

Post by Heimidal »

miraclewhipkey wrote:The thing I see happen all the time in these communities is personal battles and sometimes even clique/elitist muscle-flexing. I see the potential for the Karma system to be abused in that way quite a bit, if it were to just be a good/bad rating. Before I would use it, I would really want to see the history of the user doing the rating considered in the rating they are giving.

To clarify... lets say Joe is a decent guy who posts responsibly and doesn't really spam or cause trouble, but occasionally will speak honestly enough to bother someone. Lets say Mike is an obnoxious guy who not only annoys other people, but he takes everything way too seriously, and rates people like Joe with bad Karma all the time. I think that if Mike has a poor karma rating, his rating of another user should carry less wieght, good or bad. But if Joe has good karma, his rating means a lot more when he rates other users. Maybe the Karma rating points given to a user when another user clicks the rating link can be determined by the karma power they have to give.
This was also a concern of mine. The developers will be trying to figure out the best way to ensure this won't happen.

miraclewhipkey

Post by miraclewhipkey »

More thinking out loud, take it for what its worth...

How about instead of Good = a flat +5 karma points, and Bad = a flat -5, it could work something like this:

the Karma db table ->
level_one points necessary to be level one
level_one_weight amount of points awarded/subtracted when user has this level
continue on with as many levels as you want...

add to the user table ->
karma_points the user's points total

I'm picturing a place in the ACP where you set these thresholds, just like you do with ranks. Lets say if a user has negative karma points, they have no power to rate someone at all. Users with 0 points (new users or neutral users) up to the first threshold would have 3 points to give/take. Then you set the levels in the ACP to whatever you want. Both the thresholds, and the amount of power you get when you reach a threshold. The numbers are arbitrary. Its mainly the flow and logic I'm thinking of at this point.

In theory this seems doable. I might even consider just moding this into my current board.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The current plan is to allow the admin to set the number of ratings a user may make in a day/week for each karma level.

konigwolf

Post by konigwolf »

Will I be able to edit my own karma rating on my board once 2.2 is released or modify the database.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No, not without a lot of messing around ... which is as it should be :) If we allow Karma to be "fixed" by admins/mods then it undermines the entire system IMO.

konigwolf

Post by konigwolf »

Oh thats too bad cause i hate being contradicted so will, we be able to track who rates our post(as an administrator). I'm a bit power hungry.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I think that would be in the same area as "show who has voted in a poll' is in 2.0.x -- A MOD.
A_Jelly_Doughnut