Jabber-Support

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DarkLord

Jabber-Support

Post by DarkLord »

I hope this hasen't been discussed yet, but the search function isn't functional atm and I haven't seen anything so far. So here we go:

I'm very pleased to see the inclusion of a Jabber entry in the users profile, but wouldn't it be cool to have some *more* Jabber Support?

The guys over at PSI have done some nice modifications to the phpBB 2.0.4 they used to use (they are now on Invision Boards : ).
Their forums have a special 'Jabber Forum Integration'-Section - there their mod (including the notifications I'll talk abou) can be found.

Including these or similar would be really cool. Some of their functions are based on a bot, they are still doing active work on!

I'd especially love to see a working online-indicator for jabber, some sort of jabber-websend, where you don't need to have a jabber id to contact someone using a phpBB based form.

And IF it might be possible to actually include options like "send jabber message when new PM arrives" (and similar) I think that would be a really cool feature ;)
Otherwise i would have to try to implement this myself... and nobody reallly wants such a thing to happen (I'm really no good at php or anything *g*).
Nevertheless such an OPTION (choose between 'email notification', 'jabber notification', 'both' and 'none') might be applicable to everything there is the option to receive email-notifications for already.

IMHO instantly (as in IM ;)) receiving an IM, everytime you get an PM (if you WANT to be informed that is!) would be the most effective way of informing the user - since IF you're online your IM-Client is the applications that is most likely to be running constantly. Even those leaving their eMail-Clients open and checking their mails automatically only do so every several minutes.

If you're not logged into jabber you receive the message the next time you log in (just like in icq.. i think - never really wanted to use it ;) )

SHS`

Re: Jabber-Support

Post by SHS` »

*coughMODcough*

Why do you need all that extra functionality?

If Jabber has, it, then why can't MSN, ICQ, et cetera have it?

Probably as it'll end up hideously bloated.

So I hazard a guess it'll stay, and should stay, a MOD.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

I don't see why you'd really need to have a Jabber or ICQ online status thing, if they have Jabber and you want to talk to them then add them to your list and the program will do the rest for you
Images in sigs! please.

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord »

Well yes, you're right. Such notifications via jabber would belong into a mod.

But my point is this:

Jabber might (should) be a very important IM platform in the future... many people already use it, and since phpBB is Open Source I'm sure i don't have to emphasize the positive aspects of having a completely open source IM-protocol.
Of course many people don't like it - and if it's just for that it's new. but so do many people when it comes ti ICQ or AIM - some people even use MSN?!?! And all these protocols are supported here in phpBB.

Wouldn't it be just 'right' to have decent support for Jabber in phpBB?
I don't talk about these notofications - I the talk about the same level of integration ICQ has in the current phpBB v2.0.4. There is an online indicator, and it's possible to send an isntant message right from the forums. this should be ture for jabebr as well I think :)

I hope this happens, because I don't see why this should be a MOD-only feature.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

but you are not talking about equal support for Jabber, you are talking main IM focus and a integral feature of phpBB is Jabber. why can't they have send IM to YIM, AIM, ICQ, MSNM when you receive a new PM? it's just not a realistic request. that would just add lots of unnecessary bloat to phpBB and most people don't even use jabber, so it would be a helluva lot of wasted space.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Plans are already afoot to more fully support Jabber ... I suspect most of this will be in Mod form by the author. It would be nice to include online status indication but the current setup of Jabber unnecessarily complicates that.

As for PSI ... I have great respect for their Mod and would've given serious thought (as has Bart AFAIK) to looking at reworking their continued progress into 2.2. However, I do find it rather amusing that they switched to a closed source board because they thought it would be superior ... then had users spend several pages complaining about the lack of useful capability compared to phpBB 2 :D It rather "colours" my opinion shall we say :D
Last edited by psoTFX on Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beeurd

Post by beeurd »

I've never actually heard of Jabber... I must investigate...

Clow Read

Post by Clow Read »

very nice work on the jabber integration ^^
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning"

TheMole

Post by TheMole »

When I click on it am I meant to be looking at sending a message to "Tony"? Odd. :lol:

I know it's alpha software, but poor tony might be getting lots of messages!
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke