phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
User avatar
Arty
Registered User
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Mars
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by Arty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Dragosvr92 wrote:Is there a way to make the update files to update a non prosilver/subsilver style ?
No. Style authors should take care of that themselves by using template inheritance. Files that are modified by style authors cannot be automatically updated.
Formerly known as CyberAlien.

Free phpBB styles | Premium responsive XenForo styles

User avatar
Dragosvr92
Registered User
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 pm
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by Dragosvr92 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 am

Arty wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:Is there a way to make the update files to update a non prosilver/subsilver style ?
No. Style authors should take care of that themselves by using template inheritance. Files that are modified by style authors cannot be automatically updated.
I dont see why not. Most styles only have the css template and the style name changed.
They keep the html template intact. There should be at least a template auto updater to make it easier to update.
Previous user: TheKiller
Avatar on Memberlist 1.0.3

User avatar
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 am

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by VSE » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:53 am

Dragosvr92 wrote:I dont see why not. Most styles only have the css template and the style name changed.
They keep the html template intact. There should be at least a template auto updater to make it easier to update.
Thats not correct at all. Style authors can do very little to change the style, such as only a few CSS color tweaks...to outright overhauling with massive template, css, and javascript changes that would make any kid of auto-updating impossible.

The auto-updating in phpBB relies on finding code intact, as it is in a fresh install, and modifying that code. Anywhere it can't find core code (because it has been changed by MODs or styling) leads to conflicts, which have to be evaluated and resolved manually by the admin updating.

phpBB always releases a code-change instruction set for the styles (prosilver and subsilver2) which style authors and admins alike can use to figure out how to update their custom styles.

But the bottom line is phpBB ships with Prosilver and subsilver2. They are part of the core, and the updaters always auto-update the core package only. phpBB is only responsible for the core code that it ships with.
Has an irascible disposition.

User avatar
paulus
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 am
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by paulus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:16 am

Dragosvr92 wrote:
Arty wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:Is there a way to make the update files to update a non prosilver/subsilver style ?
No. Style authors should take care of that themselves by using template inheritance. Files that are modified by style authors cannot be automatically updated.
I dont see why not. Most styles only have the css template and the style name changed.
They keep the html template intact. There should be at least a template auto updater to make it easier to update.
And thats where template inherentence kicks in, so the non modified templates get automaticlly updated.
Image

User avatar
Meis2M
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by Meis2M » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:45 am

when release final version?

martin123456
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:50 am

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by martin123456 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:57 am

How come the first post dont have an update from PhpBB version 3.0.12-RC1 to PhpBB version 3.0.12-RC3 ?

User avatar
Arty
Registered User
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Mars
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by Arty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 am

martin123456 wrote:How come the first post dont have an update from PhpBB version 3.0.12-RC1 to PhpBB version 3.0.12-RC3 ?
Its not needed. If you were testing RC versions, you should have RC2. If you weren't testing, you should have 3.0.11
Formerly known as CyberAlien.

Free phpBB styles | Premium responsive XenForo styles

User avatar
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by bantu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 am

martin123456 wrote:How come the first post dont have an update from PhpBB version 3.0.12-RC1 to PhpBB version 3.0.12-RC3 ?
We just don't advertise all packages in the announcements. There is an RC1 to RC3 update package in the release archive. See https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... .0.12-RC3/

User avatar
Meis2M
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.0.12 Release Candidate 3 published

Post by Meis2M » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am

it seems we can see final version tomorrow. im happy

Post Reply