Use vertical resize on the textarea.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dragosvr92

Re: Use vertical resize on the textarea.

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I do not. Read the first posts. Senky and keith10456 approved of this fix.

Most developers or other people come asking mostly on how to reproduce the issue and never come back to give their opinion.
So, do i really stand alone ?
Senky wrote:+1

please, create a ticket for it. It is simple fix. As long as it will be created, I can PR patch.
And do not forget about all textarea places - PMs, UCP, ACP, ...
keith10456 wrote:+1 And confirmed on phpBB main website using Chrome v21.0 and FF v12. See screenshot below.

1) Start new topic.
2) Click and drag text area resizer... First drag it vertically (it won't allow you to drag it horizontally first), then drag it horizontally.

* Edit - Just tested and confirmed in FF as well. Updated post.
keith10456 wrote:I'm not a dev but if the fix for the problem was unknown and/or if it was a headache to correct the issue then I could see the reasoning for passing over this (until 3.1). However, TheKiller posted the fix so why the push-back?

I understand it's not a major bug... But it appears to be a simple fix.

Or is it because the fix will cause a headache to implement (for devs and/or other styles)?

As I said, I'm not a dev so there may be some things on the backend that I'm not aware of.

Just a note, the problem is with the prosilver style as well. I just checked my dev site.
Previous user: TheKiller

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TheKiller wrote:Because its disturbing and annoying as you all seem blind.

Its a bug that anyone may experience. Why fix it? Because it is a bug and bugs have to be fixed. Better things that could be done...
Yeah! Maybe. But fixing this would be just adding one small piece of code into a CSS file !!!

Don't people have less than fine minutes to do add a CSS property into a class/id ??
I have never accidentally clicked on the resize icon and dragged it 200 pixels to the right, and so have never experienced this bug. I doubt ANYONE has actually experienced this bug in a real life situation.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

TheKiller wrote: I want to resize it and make its hight bigger, but, i just grab the grabber and i move it on bottom right, because its easier than following the straight line..
Grabbing it and going down to the bottom straight..
Both here on area51 and on .com, using opera 12, when posting a reply/new topic, I am only able to change the textarea height. On .com, using firefox 17, having a window significantly wider than style width, I am able to make textarea wider than its initial width but not narrower.

Therefore, if you don't want to make the textarea wider, when you are resizing it move the mouse down and left rather than down and right. Problem solved.

And second, you are proposing a code change but I do not have a clear understanding of what it it that you are really trying to achieve. Why do you want to resize textareas? Is it all textareas or just on some of the pages? Do you want to always resize them or only when you are typing certain kinds of posts?

The counter argument by Noxwizard addresses a legitimate use case - making a textarea as big as it can be. This I can support. I am surprised to not have yet seen any web designers freaking out over the smilies being shifted out of the content area they are supposed to be in.

Edit: see bolded text.

Based on the edit, this topic is also missing research on why opera only allows vertical resizing while firefox allows increasing but not decreasing width.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

The textarea has a max-width and min-width of 100%, but that behaves differently in different browsers - for example in Safari, it will only change size horizontally if dragged outside of the div containing it.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

As today i visited area51 after a long time. I noticed that my suggestion and ticket has been approved and fixed in 3.1.0-b1.

The textarea was meant to only be resized vertically when i suggested this, and thats why it had to be fixed to strictly be like that (and show the down arrow, not the corner arrow). Not to allow it to be enlarged with a cm and break the layout. I still cant understand why i got all the push back when all it needed was to add a css property to specify how it had to be resized.

So, i am sticking my tongue each of you ! :D (besides Senky and keith10456 )

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Well for starters you asked for the pushback by starting this discussion for fixing it in 3.0, which did not get the fix by the way. I suggest you simply move on to 3.1 business if you want to contribute to current affairs.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Yes, i was aware it didnt when i posted. Point is that it was fixed in there and recognized as necessary. The textarea is supposed to be resized only vertically. Allowing it to be enlarged horizontally a bit is a bug. I only insisted to add it because it is a needed fix imo and it can be fixed with just a css property and it wont cause any issues that would later need to be fixed.