Use vertical resize on the textarea.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dragosvr92

Re: Use vertical resize on the textarea.

Post by Dragosvr92 »

So, can we look at this again?
Previous user: TheKiller

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Lol, this thread reminded me of this: http://coding.abel.nu/2013/01/the-proje ... -handbook/

"Focus on border issues […] What happens if a user enters digits in the surname field?"
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Ger

Post by Ger »

Rather not. I'm with Noxwizard here:
Noxwizard wrote:What does it hurt by letting them stretch it to the right? I do it from time to time. I do it knowing that the layout is going to be deformed, but I really don't care because the textarea is what I'm interested in. I would probably find it more annoying that I can't stretch it to the right, especially on a fixed width style. The user has to consciously resize the textarea and to even get it to expand to the right they have to significantly stretch it beyond the edge of the page, so they already know that they're exceeding the bounds of the layout.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

@Callum, I dont see what you are trying to say.
@Ger, In my opinion what Nox is asying doesnt make sense. I Tried to explain and i will try again.

Noxwizard wrote:What does it hurt by letting them stretch it to the right? I do it from time to time. I do it knowing that the layout is going to be deformed, but I really don't care because the textarea is what I'm interested in.
It hurts that it is deforming the page for just enlarging/stretching the textarea by about 1 centimetre and a half....
Is it really worth enlarging the textarea with so little and messing the smilies area? Why would you be interested in enlarging it so little.
The rest of the quote is too annoying to reply to as it is just rubbish.

Look at the image i attached. Do you think it is worth deforming the entire layout just to allow users to stretch/enlarge the textarea with so few space !?
The textareas should not leave their main body !
Attachments
The image you see here is exactly the extra space/width that you get if you enlarge the textarea.
The image you see here is exactly the extra space/width that you get if you enlarge the textarea.
space.png (264 Bytes) Viewed 33533 times

Ger

Post by Ger »

Well, if someone wants to resize it, he immediately sees what the effect of his action is. It's someones own choice. Why wouldn't you allow him to do so? He's the only one who sees it.

You're saying something like
We should add a special coating to all computer monitors to prevent people from sticking post-its to it, because that's ugly
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Why wouldn't you allow him the option to mess up the layout if he does something he is not supposed to do ?
Hes the only one who sees it, yes, and he is disturbed of the layout being messed up for him and whoever does the same thing.

I want to resize it and make its hight bigger, but, i just grab the grabber and i move it on bottom right, because its easier than following the straight line..
Grabbing it and going down to the bottom straight..

Having the option of resizing it so little and braking the layout is just EXTREMELY FOOLISH !

I can simply not understand why are you people supporting it being the way it is at the moment.

I don't sound like that at all. Not in the slightest.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

TheKiller wrote:@Callum, I dont see what you are trying to say.
At best, he's saying that you're focussing on a very tiny corner case and ignoring the more important things that need to get done. At worst, he's calling you a Project Saboteur. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TheKiller wrote:@Callum, I dont see what you are trying to say.
Why are you making such a fuss about such a minor issue? It's not a bug that anyone will actually experience, so why fix it? There are plenty of better things that could be done.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Because its disturbing and annoying as you all seem blind.

Its a bug that anyone may experience. Why fix it? Because it is a bug and bugs have to be fixed. Better things that could be done...
Yeah! Maybe. But fixing this would be just adding one small piece of code into a CSS file !!!

Don't people have less than fine minutes to do add a CSS property into a class/id ??

Ger

Post by Ger »

TheKiller wrote:Because its disturbing and annoying as you all seem blind.

Its a bug that anyone may experience. Why fix it? Because it is a bug and bugs have to be fixed. Better things that could be done...
We're not blind. We simply don't see it as a bug, but as a feature. You may think it's ugly, but it seems you stand alone in that opinion. You're free to alter your style the way you want it to be, but why force it on others?