Emails with IP address // new regex validation

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SafetyCar

Emails with IP address // new regex validation

Post by SafetyCar »

I didn't know where to put this message, but today I saw this change on the RegEx validation for the email addresses
http://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/commit/5 ... 97355dccda

And I'm wondering if someone could sign up twice using once the host name and other the IP address :roll:

I'm not an expert so sorry if this has been considered, or has no sense...

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: Emails with IP address // new regex validation

Post by bantu »

SafetyCar wrote:And I'm wondering if someone could sign up twice using once the host name and other the IP address :roll:
Since you can have multiple domains on the same mail server like
foo@domain1.tld
foo@domain2.tld
it is unlikely that foo@ip-address-of-mx-record will map to one of those two.

But that ultimatively depends on the mail server configuration.
Generally it should not be any different to a person using foo@example.org and bar@example.org to register two accounts.

Allowing IP addresses is a good idea though since those addresses are valid according to the related RFCs and IP addresses could be used if phpBB is running on a local network with a simple mail server.