IP Logger to prevent double registration

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
monotek

IP Logger to prevent double registration

Post by monotek »

To stop users to create several accounts in PHPBB an IP logger would be very helpfull.

I know that ISPs like AOL shares IP addresses between users but users could be additional verified via cookie and full browser name...

Logger should show if more than 1 user haves same IP address.

In PHPBB there was several mods available to do this but since i use phpbb 3 i cant struggle such users.

Imho this should be implemented in PHPBB 3.x.

stickerboy

Re: IP Logger to prevent double registration

Post by stickerboy »

phpBB already logs users IP's at registration (Viewable in the ACP whan you manage a User) and the IP of ever post - click the post details icon on any post an you'll get the IP the user used to make that post, a list of other users posting from that IP and also a list of other IP's that user has posted from. You can search in the memberlist/acp by IP's a user has posted from (although you can't search by registered IP).
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

You need to be careful with any attempt to block double registration from the same IP: the reason for this is that people browsing your forum from a private network though a proxy will appear to come from the same IP. This isn't just two people in the same household but also all the people on a company LAN. On my forums I did an analysis of repeated IPs and most where corporate registrations. Anyway this isn't really a topic for this forum, and if I was a mod here I'd be locking this one ;)

Paul Grayson

Post by Paul Grayson »

My board has many different instances of multiple posters living at the same physical address - a quick count up has revealed nine, and I'm sure I've missed a few. These are mainly married couples but there's at least one father and son.

monotek

Post by monotek »

I dont want to block such users automaticly.

Its only needed to convict such users manually.

I know about the registered ip but that very incommodious, because you dont have an overview.

You first have to check the ip in a new post and note it. After that you have search for the last post of the user you banned and than you can view and compare the ip´s.

Imho there should be an easy overview in admin panel.

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

guys you are still discussing new feature / functionality -- not for this forum :(