[Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Kellanved »

Sorry to say it so directly: phpMN has many more and worse security issues than phpList.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello a_o_c,
just let the smilies talk! ;)

@Kellanved: Great to see that you remember to my old fashioned MOD! :) But the new MOD hasn't to do anything with PHPMN now! So I've broken with PHPMN (and phpBB2) some days ago finally! Hurra!

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Oh, I'm sorry. :D

Well, the thing is that few scripts are able to send out the volume of mails we require. We'll see when the time comes.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello Kellanved,
no problem! Okay, the name of the MOD sounds a little bit similar to the old one. :oops:

Just an idea and a tiny bit of hope. (And some advertising for my MOD! :shock: ;) )

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

ChrisRLG wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:All I know is that I'm going through withdrawls...someone is going to pay!! :mad:
One day at a time.

First day you will have the shakes - this is normal.

Second day they will be more violent - again this is normal.

To get help you will need to use some of the old established remedies, find a copy of windows and check out the games folder in the start menu - you will find a game called Minesweeper - play that for 1 hour, after which you will find the pain of not being able to get to phpBB.com will be a Little less violent.

So take each day at a time, try the Minesweeper 'tablet' and you might just be able to bare the pain and shakes till phpBB.com is available again.

It will be hard, but we (and Minesweeper) are here to help you.
:shock:

and now I'm not getting notifications of replies. probably my ISP though...they're awesome :roll:

KAHHHHNNNN!!!

/me cowers in a corner with his computer waiting.....patiently waiting. :(

Good thing I don't drink. ;)
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

dicks

Post by dicks »

The fact that phpbb.com is now down for so incredibly long time would mean to me that there is more going on then just a "minor" issue. If it was minor outage wuold not be days. Truly amazing to see, are they recoding the entire website or what?

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Where have you red about a minor issue?
As stated before we are sanitizing everything that was on that server at the time of the attack. This means checking all the files and the whole database. Besides that we are looking through all the logs to try to find out what happened.
I don't think anyone said that it was a minor issue. We have said that we take the very seriously and therefore take our time to make sure that everything is okay before we open .com again (and it will be online when it is back online).
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

Brandon07

Post by Brandon07 »

Man, that’s a lot of database information to check. Screw days this could take months. Well, I would hope not anyways. We get that you guys will be back online when you’re back online, but some of us are down with you guys. Yeah sure, you can install the software, but the much-needed mods are down with your site. Wouldn’t be so bad if Phpbb3 wasn’t so bare bones. You pretty much need mods to make it worthwhile. I just wish I didn't have to reinstall Phpbb the day you guys were hacked. Talk about bad luck on my end. :lol:

NexusV2

Post by NexusV2 »

Hey, just wondering if you guys had any updates on how the revival is coming along?

Thanks!

Pollik

Post by Pollik »

" It is important to stress that no vulnerabilities have been found in the phpBB software itself."

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29973

I am not wholly convinced.

Since that post was made, I have had half a dozen applications to join my board that are prima facie spam - somehow squeezing past the anti-bot test.

Another board, of which I am a member (not admin) has had a couple of dozen squeeze past the anti-bot and into the forums. To be fair, I can't check the forum settings, but in both cases the problems started on 2 February 2009. Before that, their were no spam issues at all, that I could see.

I do hope phpBB manage to resolve the issue soon - I have just recommended it to someone else!!

Polly