[Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Kat Lawson

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Kat Lawson »

I hope you all recover quickly.
Kat
Last edited by darcie on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed links

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

sevenalive wrote:I say to save some time, just delete all posts that are over 2 years old, and delete all phpBB 2.x posts/forums. I mean, really do we need information that is that old?
Delete all MODS and have author's resubmit using the current MODX standard.
Since 2.x is not supported, why not just delete posts pertaining to that, delete the discussion posts since those are mostly useless anyway. Delete all the users inactive for over a year too. If your worried about losing post counts, i am sure you can easily make it so, deleting a post does not change post count.

That would:
  • Lower the DB size quite a bit and speed up the site.
  • Ensure all mods are easier to install manually and using installers, and make sure all mods work with 3.0.4 and beyond.
  • Remove the outdated information and useless posts.
I am sure ill be flamed for this post, but whats the use besides data preservation. Before you say, we can't delete 2.x because people still use it. I say delete it for that reason alone, v3 is out, time to move on. Maybe it's just me, but i like minimal and clean. On my site, i do delete users 0 posts, never been active or inactive for xx time. How much would the database size change if you did all of that, probably would reduce 70% and i am sure few would miss the old stuff.
Delete all mods? Are you crazy?

First of all, not all of us Mod authors have as much free time as you, so it could take months to resubmit everything (and I doubt everything that was in the DB will be resubmitted)
Second of all, don't you know that it falls on the Mod Team to validate all of the mods? Do you have the time to go line by line through every single mod resubmitted for validation?

Cheryl AAR

Post by Cheryl AAR »

Any idea when the userguides and tutorials will be online again? Is there a pdf that can be downloaded? I'm turning over my boards to a new group of moderators and they could sure use them to help with simple stuff to get up to speed.

Cheryl

stickerboy

Post by stickerboy »

When the site comes back, so will everything else with it ;)
If you really need them, you can search google's website cache :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Cheryl AAR

Post by Cheryl AAR »

cherokee red wrote:When the site comes back, so will everything else with it ;)
If you really need them, you can search google's website cache :)
Brilliant! Thanks for the suggestion, just what I needed.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

sevenalive wrote:I say to save some time, just delete all posts that are over 2 years old, and delete all phpBB 2.x posts/forums. I mean, really do we need information that is that old?
Delete all MODS and have author's resubmit using the current MODX standard.
Since 2.x is not supported, why not just delete posts pertaining to that, delete the discussion posts since those are mostly useless anyway. Delete all the users inactive for over a year too.
So why don't we burn all books older than 30 years? Why do we need to keep information about useless old stuff like the Roman Empire and World War II?

I mean, really do we need information that is that old?

a_o_c

Post by a_o_c »

EXreaction wrote:Second of all, don't you know that it falls on the Mod Team to validate all of the mods? Do you have the time to go line by line through every single mod resubmitted for validation?
if he does, he can start out by become a Jr MOD Validator ;) :D

3Di

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Something I saw on phpBB Weekly
http://www.phpbbweekly.net wrote:the teams highly recommend that if you share any of the passwords that you have used on any of the parts of phpBB.com (forum, wiki, code forge, etc.), you should change them just in case, as well as changing your phpBB.com password as soon as it comes back online.

muggins

Post by muggins »

I just attempted a login to the main site. I saw the familiar logo, logged in and changed my password, and upon refesh, now I see the maintenance banner again.

What is going on, gentlemen?
Muggins