[Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by EXreaction »

ToonArmy wrote:Actually a certain amount of HTML is stored in the posts table un-escaped ;)
What HTML are you talking about? :?

I mean stuff like &, ", <, and > which would allow for complete HTML to be inserted, like frames, scripts, etc.

Paul Online
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 am
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Paul »

cfs3.ace wrote:Has there been any update as to when the site will be back up? I was just going to work on a mod... Then I tried to access the website. Oh well. Keep up the good work!
No, there is no update when it will be back again.

ToonArmy
Registered User
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by ToonArmy »

EXreaction wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:Actually a certain amount of HTML is stored in the posts table un-escaped ;)
What HTML are you talking about? :?

I mean stuff like &, ", <, and > which would allow for complete HTML to be inserted, like frames, scripts, etc.
Magic URLs, smilies are both stored as raw HTML in the database.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM
Image

Brandon07
Registered User
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Brandon07 »

I really didn’t want to post this reply, because I don’t want to rush anyone here. So far, we know that you guys have a list and everyone is working hard on getting phpbb.com back up. It has been a week later and we don’t even have a rough estimate date. Not that I want you guys to kill yourself to get the website back up (or it should be done in an hour), but the comfort of knowing something more than you’ve been hacked and we’ll be back whenever.

Now, this current forum has no use for me, and I’m trying to have some patience. As I said in my previous reply, my forums are pretty much down until you guys are back up. My users can still post, but I had to disable features and all that goodness until I can reinstall the mods that are located on phpbb.com. In a sense, I feel like I cannot move forward with my forums until you guys are back up (I'm sure we all feel that way).

Can we get more than a whenever and possibly some updates here and there?

Paul Online
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 am
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Paul »

paulus wrote:
cfs3.ace wrote:Has there been any update as to when the site will be back up? I was just going to work on a mod... Then I tried to access the website. Oh well. Keep up the good work!
No, there is no update when it will be back again.
It will be back when it will be back. There is no update avaibable. We are working as hard as possible to get it back.

I Reject Reality
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by I Reject Reality »

Brandon07 wrote:I really didn’t want to post this reply, because I don’t want to rush anyone here. So far, we know that you guys have a list and everyone is working hard on getting phpbb.com back up. It has been a week later and we don’t even have a rough estimate date. Not that I want you guys to kill yourself to get the website back up (or it should be done in an hour), but the comfort of knowing something more than you’ve been hacked and we’ll be back whenever.

Now, this current forum has no use for me, and I’m trying to have some patience. As I said in my previous reply, my forums are pretty much down until you guys are back up. My users can still post, but I had to disable features and all that goodness until I can reinstall the mods that are located on phpbb.com. In a sense, I feel like I cannot move forward with my forums until you guys are back up (I'm sure we all feel that way).

Can we get more than a whenever and possibly some updates here and there?
I'm in exactly the same situation as you, I can't even open my forums till the sites back. But these things take time, especially considering the size of the site. Although a rough estimate would be nice, They can't really give one until they know themselves how long it'll take. and I'm fairly sure they'll tell us when they know. Patience is the only thing you can have right now really.

User avatar
Acyd Burn
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:18 pm
Location: Behind You
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Acyd Burn »

At the moment everything is going quite smooth. Depending on the time we are able to work on it (we all have day jobs too ;)) i predict(!) 1-3 days. It will definitely not be an additional week. :)

Image

Brandon07
Registered User
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Brandon07 »

Thank you very much. :D Like I said, I'm not rushing or in a "I hate Phpbb" stage, but just trying to work things out myself.

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by EXreaction »

ToonArmy wrote:
EXreaction wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:Actually a certain amount of HTML is stored in the posts table un-escaped ;)
What HTML are you talking about? :?

I mean stuff like &, ", <, and > which would allow for complete HTML to be inserted, like frames, scripts, etc.
Magic URLs, smilies are both stored as raw HTML in the database.
Oh yes, forgot about that. Having a script check it all then might be a bit more difficult. :(

wGEric
Registered User
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:07 am
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by wGEric »

Brandon07 wrote:Now, this current forum has no use for me, and I’m trying to have some patience. As I said in my previous reply, my forums are pretty much down until you guys are back up. My users can still post, but I had to disable features and all that goodness until I can reinstall the mods that are located on phpbb.com. In a sense, I feel like I cannot move forward with my forums until you guys are back up (I'm sure we all feel that way).
Imagine how frustrating it is for us. Our site is completely down and we have to spend time fixing it instead of doing things that would actually help the community beyond where we were before the hack.
Eric

Post Reply