[Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Erik Frèrejean

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

madtay,
Can not be compromised is a big word. You can almost be sure that this hacker didn't break your password as he only has the simple passwords that where md5 hashed. Nevertheless you should change all passwords for accounts you have that share the password. This is more a precaution, but one you really should take.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

madtay

Post by madtay »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:madtay,
Can not be compromised is a big word. You can almost be sure that this hacker didn't break your password as he only has the simple passwords that where md5 hashed. Nevertheless you should change all passwords for accounts you have that share the password. This is more a precaution, but one you really should take.
Thanks Erik, yes i realised i phrased it wrong and understand that you can never say never, i only use the password on here and phpbb.com though, have already changed it here and will change it when phpbb.com is back. Thanks

thinkpad

Post by thinkpad »

Would it not be a good idea to email everyone who's data has been compromised to inform them of any steps they should take to stay on the safe side.

Not everyone who has had data compromised will be aware of what has happened, as many people do not log into the site very often, only when they upgrade or require help etc.

poppertom69

Post by poppertom69 »

Is this why i keep getting loads of junk mail?

Phil

Post by Phil »

I doubt the email addresses have made their way to any spam lists quite yet. My @phpbb.com address, which was the one all things leaked, has yet to receive a single one.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

My unique email address for phpbb.com has not been spammed yet.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

ToonArmy wrote:My unique email address for phpbb.com has not been spammed yet.
Likewise.

Any increase would be very gradual .

Brandon07

Post by Brandon07 »

I'm not too worried about junk mail, since I can just block that stuff. :lol: I changed a lot of my passwords recently just in case, though. It's better to be on the safe side, right?

dragonfire1

Post by dragonfire1 »

Is this why the boards are extremely slow and have error messeges on them? I am new and some what stupid to all this so I am asking if this is why or is there another reason why this is happening.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

dragonfire1 wrote:Is this why the boards are extremely slow and have error messeges on them? I am new and some what stupid to all this so I am asking if this is why or is there another reason why this is happening.
No, it is not. Please open a topic in the support forum with a link to your site and the errors you are getting.
A_Jelly_Doughnut