editing forum permissions hell of confusing

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
alreadyinuse

editing forum permissions hell of confusing

Post by alreadyinuse »

Hi,
Just a note to let you know that editing forum permissions is hell of confusing. (in version 3.0.0)

It says on the editing page: "In phpBB3 there are no categories, everything is forum based. "

But on this SAME PAGE when you click to create a new forum, one of the three forum types you can select from is "category."

wow.

So I added a couple of what the interface leads me to believe are top level categories.

So on the "Forum administration" page, you display the two categories/forums/whatever-they-are I have added, with a series of linked buttons to the right of each category. I can move them up, move them down, and edit them. And guess what... The link to edit each of these two categories points to the same URL.

The interface leads the user to believe that each category can be edited independently, when in fact, the user is simultaneously editing both categories... or something... who knows what the hell is going on here to be honest. If this is your idea of an interface, why don't you use have the CAPTCHA generator generate the interface with a random number engine to determine what actions the various hyperlinks point at.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Now please don't ever release such a useless interface again in the future.

damn. I have having to reverse engineer what drugs UI designer was on just to get my application to work.
alreadyinuse

Re: editing forum permissions hell of confusing

Post by alreadyinuse »

my bad, the links are different. It's just that since editing the permissions for one of the categories effects the same changes on the other category, I figured the links must be the same, and they are similar. Either way, it would be nice to edit them indpendently. Why have two different links when in fact both links do the same thing. confusing.
naderman
Consultant

Re: editing forum permissions hell of confusing

Post by naderman »

Huh? You can of course edit them independendly. I don't have the slightest idea what made you think they are both effected by changes on one config page.